Security Installer Community

Ip Cctv Cameras & Cross Selling To Customers

So presumeably TV8 has moved on from the 40kbps of TV7 then? i always assumed they limited the data flow to avoid overloading their servers, as i believe all data flows through them, not direct from one tv client to another. Hence rdp always used to be better

IIRC GEM = Atari ST ?

What I was hinting @ was in command line based environment typo's bite back...

To correct you -:

wikpedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEM_Operating_System

GEM is known primarily as the graphical user interface (GUI) for the Atari ST series of computers, and was also supplied with a series of IBM PC-compatible computers from Amstrad. It also was available for standard IBM PC, at the time when the 6 MHz IBM PC AT (and the very concept of a GUI) was brand new. "It was the core for a small number of DOS programs", the most notable being Ventura Publisher. It was ported to a number of other computers that previously lacked graphical interfaces, but never gained popularity on those platforms. DRI also produced FlexGem for their FlexOS real-time operating system.

Never messed with atari, but i'd rather mis-type and even mis-spel than mis-inform!

Ah,

There speaks the forum hypocrite.

do i smell a pot criticising a pan?

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

And it was xerox iirc who actually developed the original GUI o/s.

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

PARC user interface [edit]

The PARC user interface consisted of graphical elements such as windows, menus, radio buttons, check boxes and icons. The PARC user interface employs a pointing device in addition to a keyboard. These aspects can be emphasized by using the alternative acronym WIMP, which stands for windows, icons, menus and pointing device.

Evolution [edit]

The Xerox Star Workstation introduced the first commercial GUI O>S as shown above.

Following PARC the first GUI-centric computer operating model was the Xerox 8010 Star Information System in 1981,[6] followed by the Apple Lisa (which presented the concept of menu bar as well as window controls) in 1983, the Apple Macintosh 128K in 1984, and the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga in 1985.

"The early GUI commands, UNTIL the advent of IBM Common User Access", [7] used different command sequences for different programs. A command like the F3 function key activated help in WordPerfect, but exited an IBM program. The menus were accessed by different keys (control in WordStar, Alt or F10 in Microsoft programs, "/" in Lotus 1-2-3, F9 in Norton Commander to name a few common ones).

To this end, the early software came with keyboard overlays. These are plastic or wooden masks which sit over the empty space between the keys, providing the user with the named application's use of various keys. Even today, different keystrokes exist with radically different calls. For example, the Control-Alt-Delete interface is intercepted in Windows and Ubuntu to invoke a task menu. In other Unix PC-systems, this usually invokes an automatic shutdown.

The GUIs familiar to most people today (as of the early 2000s) are Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and the X Window System interfaces for desktop and laptop computers, and Symbian, BlackBerry OS, Android, Windows Phone, Palm OS / Web OS, and Apple's iOS for handheld ("smartphone") devices.

Apple, IBM and Microsoft used many of Xerox's ideas to develop products, and IBM's Common User Access specifications formed the basis of the user interface found in Microsoft Windows, IBM OS/2 Presentation Manager, and the Unix Motif toolkit and window manager. These ideas evolved to create the interface found in current versions of Microsoft Windows, as well as in Mac OS X and various desktop environments for Unix-like operating systems, such as Linux. Thus most current GUIs have largely common idioms.

really lays out the early menu systems were made user easier by structured approaches, i'd say the polishing was achieved in no small part by individuals combining as a hobby, and were then pirated themselves.

to sum up, they used or made even debugged and improved pirated copies of software, ironically the last few pirate cd's i've seen which were several years back, all had anti-pirate software written by pirates against pirates.

i'd hazard a guess few best pirates ever got paid for their copywriter fee's for often extremely innovative works.

Agreed they invented the mouse iirc

you remember wrong, IBM took the idea to fruition giving rise ti the modern design, but did not invent it as many mistakenly believe -:

wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Engelbart

Taito seem credited with the trackball due to their arcade consoles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_ball

(i hope everyone appreciates the links ;) )

To correct you -:wikpediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEM_Operating_SystemGEM is known primarily as the graphical user interface (GUI) for the Atari ST series of computers, and was also supplied with

Arfwit, how on earth do think your correcting me when your quote confirms gem = Atari st. You appear to be taking your ****wittedness to higher level

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Archived