Security Installer Community

Gates

Getting pissing sick of arfs know it all **** , letting a gate roll closed will only end up in tears .

If that's the best way to do it . That would be how it's done all the time !

oh! now I get it, your a 'luddite'

under your thinking Einstein, Stephenson, Edison, Jobs, Sinclair, A. Bell and many many other inventors and theologists etc would have all been a no marks in your world?

hmmm!, think i'll stick at what i'm doing and your invited to ignore my, and even others free thinking posts.

why not read it properly along with my response to Cubit, i explained fully enough!

so why not shoot down what i suggest paragraph by paragraph instead of trying to be the big guy by using generalisations?

so your fooling nobody.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Wtf has that got to do with gate motors?

If your way is better then manufacture motors and systems that work that way and make your fortune.

I'm guessing that "your better way" has already been tried and isn't as good as your making it out to be.

Wtf has that got to do with gate motors?

If your way is better then manufacture motors and systems that work that way and make your fortune.

I'm guessing that "your better way" has already been tried and isn't as good as your making it out to be.

I did warn you he's dangerous.

Proof positive you can neither read nor write properly.

The nurse really should supervise you better when she lets you use the keyboard.

only proof positive us you can't argue against me on the plain facts, true to colour turn to bluster and your regular line of insults?

this is not a personal battle Cubit, it is discussing about ways of reducing a reoccurring problem on a particular gate, which also encompasses preventing tragedies.

i think far and way more important than anyones self promotion, so kindly add to the technical discussion or simply butt out!

Arf. Most gate operators use a worm drive. This is used to lock the gate as well as drive it. Ie how many sliders do you see with locking? Anyway if you remove power the gate would slide gently it would stop instantly. I don't know of any but really big and old that work this way

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Can we add to the closed thread too?

Worm drives are on gate arms in general. Not rolling gates.

Rolling gates now do have "soft stop" options and better obstruction detection.

if we all thought like that - we would never have had tracked vehicles or space ships.

i admit - you have got me there lol!

motor issues - can't make this shorter so sorry.

i was offered a uk agency franchise selling black boxes that reduced current consumption and wear on electric motors, the demo was a simple motor feed through a jig, had an amp meter to show load. could have used a scope but this is an easier visual.

black box out of circuit, on power uo motor immediately draws several amps, then tails off as it gets up to speed, add a load and up go the amps.

now bring in the black box, far less peek current drawn, as motor is only getting the top of the ac cycle which is where the full voltage is reached and most torque is available, while idling at top speed current used is markedly reduced by making that pulse shorter but off load speed is maintained.

in many cases by 'step powering' you can get the same job done by a less powerful motor, simply because your not stalling it at start up. a bigger motor lasts because it can withstand that initial stalling, but that extra grunt often is not needed to keep whatever its driving going, so there is little advantage of using an over powerful motor, and it wastes energy.

this kit greatly reduced the amperage drawn and the obvious attraction was in selling that saving, but in this country while that saved the energy company costs, as a user it don't save you anything on the bill, due to the method energy is charged here, and why i did not proceed.

They are now actually growing in popularity as it is realised they save costs in down time and using cheaper motors, can be used in example for production line motors as example.

the above us all scientific facts.

Arf, you just described DC current?

Arf, you just described DC current?

to everyone, i'm really pleased this thread was unlocked, i happen to do design work aimed at problem solving, that entails thorough R&D, so to me it is an interesting technical discussion, and i readily admit i have little experience with large gates. i do not claim to know best in any way shape or form, if i did i would not be bothered with asking.

that 'essay' did not specify AC but it is for AC motors (as i referred to earlier on), while that black box would not work on DC motors, the principe of mark space ratio applying full voltage in short spurts would reduce motor wear and stress,

Today studied the sliding gate a the current site, it is very slow moving about 11" foot wide. it has 2 safety obstruction beams which i tested and they stop the gate. i note they are not directly in line with the gate travel, but off set to the out side by about 6".

there is no leading edge bumper safety stop, so i tried to stop it, given i'm over 16 stone and no fairy i could not even slow it down let alone stop it. it did not reverse either.

it continued to drive at full power until the stop was hit. so if the beams are not obstructed or worse faulty this gate could crush and not stop crushing until the guard intervenes. this might be fine but what about when the gates are operated automatically?

This site's the gate is operated solely by the security guard, who could intervene by stoping or reversing the gate with the radio push, but distraction or complacency that it will stop, often leads to tragic accidents.

if this gate which has FAAC controller as slow as it is, over the last say 700cm had the power pulsed, at a rate adjusted enough to continue to roll it, but not overcome obstructions, it will still close but not crush to anywhere near the extent it could at the moment.

by pulsing the motor at the initial start of open or closing operations will reduce motor stress, that in turn is less stress on the drive train horizontal gear rail at each end, where this gate has failed several times since Christmas.

i'm definitely old, i might well be crazy, even past my sell by date, but i just don't see any errors or increased danger caused within this logic.

Archived