Security Installer Community

Gates

Thought I had replied to this. Oh well.

Do you let your car coast to a halt? Go around corners with no drive chain engaged?????

See the lack of control there?

The "gearbox" on the motor IS the brake. Disengage that and.........................

Simple physics really.

Thought I had replied to this. Oh well.

Do you let your car coast to a halt? Go around corners with no drive chain engaged?????

See the lack of control there?

The "gearbox" on the motor IS the brake. Disengage that and.........................

Simple physics really.

many thanks OXO, and i am being serious.

Trust me, i've no intention of disconnecting any gears so normal braking is not affected.

i'm suggesting initially interrupting the supply say 12" or 18" from the stop so the motor won't drive home and be a reason for power squashing anything.

if it don't roll to a close, a timer activates after a short wait, gives the motor a nudge pulse, this is only enough to budge the gate forward, not make it fully roll. if anything is in the way it can't overcome the natural inertia and the additional resistance added, and could even auto reverses, like swing doors that then check slowly and 'learn' .

on initial open/close command, pulsing the current to get the gate rolling instead of full power from stop, will greatly reduce stall factors, that reduces force's in the gears and motor and creating less heat, increasing the life of everything in the drive train. Timings and open gap would be set up once installed, but the theory (and all it is) stands up - i think?

In fact i think this safety aspect would be a great addition to whats normally fitted, while adding a leading edge bumper contact is always advisable, and might just have saved that kids life.

if you see flaws in the above please post back.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

The method you describe will add more stress to the drives rather than reduce.

And why do you feel your method is safe when you clearly describe removing power and allowing the gate to roll?

You're as mad as a hatter.

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

if we all thought like that - we would never have had tracked vehicles or space ships.

how so?

i'm not allowing it to do anthything it don't already do, as it stands the gate gets power all the way across i'm intending to slow it down, in fact reducing impact on anything it or anyone it happens i hit.

[quote name="Cubit" post="321738" timestamp="1368951090"You're as mad as a hatter.

i admit - you have got me there lol!

motor issues - can't make this shorter so sorry.

i was offered a uk agency franchise selling black boxes that reduced current consumption and wear on electric motors, the demo was a simple motor feed through a jig, had an amp meter to show load. could have used a scope but this is an easier visual.

black box out of circuit, on power uo motor immediately draws several amps, then tails off as it gets up to speed, add a load and up go the amps.

now bring in the black box, far less peek current drawn, as motor is only getting the top of the ac cycle which is where the full voltage is reached and most torque is available, while idling at top speed current used is markedly reduced by making that pulse shorter but off load speed is maintained.

in many cases by 'step powering' you can get the same job done by a less powerful motor, simply because your not stalling it at start up. a bigger motor lasts because it can withstand that initial stalling, but that extra grunt often is not needed to keep whatever its driving going, so there is little advantage of using an over powerful motor, and it wastes energy.

this kit greatly reduced the amperage drawn and the obvious attraction was in selling that saving, but in this country while that saved the energy company costs, as a user it don't save you anything on the bill, due to the method energy is charged here, and why i did not proceed.

They are now actually growing in popularity as it is realised they save costs in down time and using cheaper motors, can be used in example for production line motors as example.

the above us all scientific facts.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

ame="Cubit" post="321738" timestamp="1368951090"]Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

if we all thought like that - we would never have had tracked vehicles or space ships.

pularity as it is realised they save costs in down time and using cheaper motors, can be used in example for production line motors as example.

the above us all scientific facts.

Proof positive you can neither read nor write properly.

The nurse really should supervise you better when she lets you use the keyboard.

Archived