Security Installer Community

Gates

We have had a few issues with a sliding gate that is pretty much in continuous use. It has been installed for nearly 4 years and in that time we have replaced 3 controller boards, 1 x gearbox and now the pinion has failed with 2 teeth stripped from it. My belief is as the current motor (bpt mec unit) doesn't have a soft stop it is stressing the gearbox and drive. This then fails over time.

The unit has a 3 phase 1.5 hp motor.

Rather than keep replacing this stuff as imo it isn't upto the duty expected of it, im thinking of replacing it with something else, ideally with soft start and stop etc.

Suggestions please?

post-6868-0-35867800-1368560475_thumb.jp

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Gate doesn't look to heavy, I would use a FAAC C720, you can set the sow down at any point on open and close, change the speed etc and its 24v

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

We have had a few issues with a sliding gate that is pretty much in continuous use. It has been installed for nearly 4 years and in that time we have replaced 3 controller boards, 1 x gearbox and now the pinion has failed with 2 teeth stripped from it. My belief is as the current motor (bpt mec unit) doesn't have a soft stop it is stressing the gearbox and drive. This then fails over time.

The unit has a 3 phase 1.5 hp motor.

Rather than keep replacing this stuff as imo it isn't upto the duty expected of it, im thinking of replacing it with something else, ideally with soft start and stop etc.

Suggestions please?

Weve had the same issues with Same kit but single phase motor, its on its 3 recondition!

I think its got more than enough power as the clutch is very low, its the stopping and starting I think that is killing the mechanical side of the unit.

use a Drawbridge :)

must be ready made kit out there, but a way of slowing it near end of travel is using position sensors to kill the motor say 12" from stop so it rolls home without power. then, if it stops short, quick pulses until it completes closing and operates stop sensor, again same idea for fully opening action.

the same pulsing circuit could be used to initiate gate movement in either direction.

this is a bit more left of center, there is a kit that reduces wear on a/c motors and associated equipment by making them more efficient. in short it alters the mains sign wave effectively to a pulse, removing the lower voltage slope. because the motor is not powered through the whole sign wave, only the highest peak it develops less heat, gives smoother power. saving on motor wear anything up to 70%

i know who supplies it - so if needed pm me.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived