Security Installer Community

Gates

I cant let it roll plus the gearbox locks to prevent opening so wouldn't work. I did think about building a control panel with soft stop etc rather then the supplied one but the safety systems put me off.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Rolls without power??????

FFS think about the issues there.

No control, no braking.

i'm interested in this just as problem solve, the current site I am working at has the same type of gate. Different problems and I've been looking into it. 

going by that one it is normally under power all the way, and existing anti-crush I assume is in place, but no leading edge sensor or beams

travel is at a very slow pace, cutting power lets say 12" from stop is not going to increase that pace and will slow the gate to a softer stop, a bit safer if anyone tries to squeezes around it, a leading edge bumper can engage reverse, can always be installed if needed..

if no obstruction, and the gate stops short, say a delay of 5 seconds then the motor only gets short pulses just enough to complete the closing, it won't be strong enough to squash anyone, it obviously needs testing to set correct adjustment, this is just theory atm.

reversing from closed or initial opening is again pulsed for several seconds, which gives high torque but stops the motor from getting as hot due to stall factors, 

its really the same principle as digital model train controllers,  allows very slow speeds even up slopes and long rolling stock sets, which would normally burn out the motors after a short period.

anyway - just an idea :)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

perhaps then, when my body is no longer willing to climb ladders or crawl through lofts, i'l get into gate controller design and manufacturing ;)

Please do not.

As you will kill people, most probably children with such a poor idea.

Again you feel your "idea" is the best and others should be ignored.

I thought you mentioned you would stop posting drivel???

Please do not.

As you will kill people, most probably children with such a poor idea.

Again you feel your "idea" is the best and others should be ignored.

I thought you mentioned you would stop posting drivel???

i thought there was a truce?

where ever did i say i'm the best? it's a discussion, i just suggested an idea to save the motors, not disabling any existing design safety features, and ii said ready made kit must be out there.

as a father and crazily devoted grandad i'm very aware of safety issues regarding kids and also DDA, a while ago we had a kiddy sadly crushed and killed in Westcliff by a sliding gate to a residential that failed to auto-stop and reverse. Coppers reportedly had to smash the controls with a hammer to make it stop. contractor will be prosecuted and likely fined by H&S, but that won't bring that kiddie back, or comfort his relatives, sends a shiver down my spine just thinking of it.

i'm not really going into production, I'm interested, please say why you think the design principles dangerous? you have far more experience than me and i wager most in this field., i'm sure others will be interested..

Archived