Security Installer Community

Water Very Common When Servicing Cctv

skar

PVC box

I find very common this type of problem; I mean lots service calls because of that.

When worked in Ireland we used to drill one or two little holes underneath, then spiders, all sorts of species loves that but at least water goes away.

Some of my fellow engineers prefer to leave like it is (just pour water away) and some agree with me that hole under the box is a must.

Maybe avoid using pvc box and do all connections inside the camera housing or building is better option and install looks nicer/tidier.

What are your thoughts on that?

agreed drain hole

I once found a jb had filled up completely the water had then gone into the copex and then somehow travelled uphill into the camera housing iirc the guttering was leaking directly above the JB  but it was a long time ago

Also have a few vandle domes with drain holes

Dome

But how often you have to clean dome cover/glass from inside, if you have one with hole? Dome with hole should mess up pretty quickly I guess.

I would have installed the camera so the cable entry hole was at the bottom myself.

Switching to cameras with rubber/foam pads on the back has stopped this for us.

Also using silicone inside doesn't always work as the silicone can't cure in a airtight dome.

Up here in sunny Scotland silicone is our friend.

After every job installed we will go back over every camera with silicon before commission where needed.

All entry points to camera or JB are at the bottom.

Learnt that lesson on our first big install ten years ago when I was a young pup! Got my ersed kicked by the head engineer.

!

Archived