Security Installer Community

Can a security engineer do callout when furloughed by the employer

Brian hall

4 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

This is not what I was told by an insurance broker.

It becomes an issue when a third party comes to claim against you as to which insurance company is liable, even if you consider the policies purposes don't overlap.

Your getting insuring the vehicle, and insuring the driver mixed up 

Whoever is driving is responsible, Im insured to drive any car with the owners permission, if I have an accident in someone else's then the responsibility is mine. 

My chap would still have my permission if he had his own insurance.  

43 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

insured by 2 different parties

no different to the garage being able to drive my van on their insurance

or me hiring / borrowing a van  & having it insured by me & the owner of the vehicle having it insured

Trade vehicle insurance works differently it's covered under "road risk" which means they are covered for vehicles in there possession, it's like a temporary flexible policy.

It's difficult to get road risk only as people where faking being in the automotive trade for it, so they normally ask for combined trade insurance (road risk + business)

Hire companies have a similar scheme.

bear in mind using a car policy does not cover you to drive a commercial vehicle 3rd party. ie our vans are insured for any employee to drive on company business. However i couldnt drive one 3rd party on my car cover

• Thanks 1

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

4 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Your getting insuring the vehicle, and insuring the driver mixed up 

Whoever is driving is responsible, Im insured to drive any car with the owners permission, if I have an accident in someone else's then the responsibility is mine. 

My chap would still have my permission if he had his own insurance.  

Some policies allow you TPO on other vehicles but this is different. There aren't two vehicles to have permission for TPO on the other.

37 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

bear in mind using a car policy does not cover you to drive a commercial vehicle 3rd party. ie our vans are insured for any employee to drive on company business. However i couldnt drive one 3rd party on my car cover

I didn't know that but it makes sense. By commercial vehicle you mean van? Or just a vehicle registered to a business? 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

yeah van. I found out when we changed policy a few years ago and i was excluded from the fleet. Assumed i could drive vans on the car policy as its got work listed on it but cant. same with van fully comp cant drive a car third party. WOuld probably pass a producer etc but not a claim

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I was told NCB on van would not move over to car ?

However some will offer it as good will

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Trade vehicle insurance works differently it's covered under "road risk" which means they are covered for vehicles in there possession, it's like a temporary flexible policy.

It's difficult to get road risk only as people where faking being in the automotive trade for it, so they normally ask for combined trade insurance (road risk + business)

Hire companies have a similar scheme.

Should you be the same person getting insurance for the same vehicle to cover the same risk, there will be an argument between the insurances when it comes time to pay out

If I where to lend you a van you would not be on my fleet policy, but there's is nothing to stop you insuring it.

Should you prang it into a bus full of nuns... my risk would be not getting paid the full value of the vehicle or have to hire one whilst the claim is settled ?

if its a 5k van, its not he end of the world.... if its a 25k van & on finance, its a very foolish thing to do.  

However 

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

There wouldn't be anything stopping you insuring something twice no, insurance will just take your money like they do.

I mean you can be insured for a vehicle your not entitled to drive, until you have a bump and they refuse to pay saying your not insured.

That doesn't make it allowed by the insurance company, they don't want to be in a situation where there is an argument between second parties who sorts out the first party, so there will be a caveat for this.

As I say that's how it was explained to me by a broker.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I mean you can be insured for a vehicle your not entitled to drive, until you have a bump and they refuse to pay saying your not insured.

Aviva was looking for a way to void our policy following a claim some years back...

15 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

That doesn't make it allowed by the insurance company, they don't want to be in a situation where there is an argument between second parties who sorts out the first party, so there will be a caveat for this.

Different policy's insured for different risks,  similar to having building & contents under different policy's?

If friend or relation was in a fix & needed a whte van, the newest is a 16, day insure it & go steady...

want to borrow the red car ?, sorry its leased car, you'll have to hire one

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

3 hours ago, james.wilson said:

yeah van. I found out when we changed policy a few years ago and i was excluded from the fleet. Assumed i could drive vans on the car policy as its got work listed on it but cant. same with van fully comp cant drive a car third party. WOuld probably pass a producer etc but not a claim

Wouldn't pass a producer these days