Security Installer Community

Can a security engineer do callout when furloughed by the employer

Brian hall

There is also another thread more on your specific topic over in the trade forums, we discussed this situation.

As an employee it would be the companies responsibility (director) to make sure your company vehicle is insured etc.

It would be upto the T&Cs of the insurance company which you wouldn't know about being an employee.

Valid point about PL insurance tho.

8 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

As an employee it would be the companies responsibility (director) to make sure your company vehicle is insured etc.

But the driver can still be prosecuted and receive a fine/points.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

I had an engineer ask me if he can still use his van (its his only transport) I allow them to use it for private milage so long as they pay for their fuel. I checked with the insurer and was told the vehicle can only be used for business use and if the employee in question is working

day insurance for a month is cira £100 with a £100 excess,  if push came to shove he could use your asset with his fuel & insurance ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

I suppose it's possible that your employer could go bandit and say you where not given permission to drive the vehicle therefore you would be liable unless you have some document stating otherwise.

MOT, vehicle condition and vehicle tax I would say are drivers responsibility to make sure they are in order, insurance is more a split issue as you wouldn't be able to check without the policy documents which are likely for the fleet.

16 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

day insurance for a month is cira £100 with a £100 excess,  if push came to shove he could use your asset with his fuel & insurance ?

Vehicle would technically be insured twice which isn't allowed AFAIK

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Vehicle would technically be insured twice which isn't allowed AFAIK

insured by 2 different parties

no different to the garage being able to drive my van on their insurance

or me hiring / borrowing a van  & having it insured by me & the owner of the vehicle having it insured

• Upvote 1

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

He got a quote £220 not sure how long that was for though