Security Installer Community

Duplicate alarm signals

I have recently started working in an ARC with no previous experience.    Although I'm learning very fast, I'm stuck on one thing which no-one can provide an answer to that I understand.    When we receive a single activation, we sometimes then receive a 'duplicate'.   Does anyone know what this duplicate means, and whether this should be policed although I'm told the duplicate is not a verified signal?

Thanks for your replies.   We handle intruder and fire alarms for over 5,000+ premises UK-wide including a large retail chain with over 400+ stores and it's the retail stores that I have the confusion with.    We don't get duplicates on every activation from every store but I have known to receive a single activation, followed by several duplicates and finally a verified which was later confirmed as a break-in, and we've also had a single followed by duplicates and that also was a confirmed as a break.   So my question really is, are the duplicates an indication that a break-in is taking place without receiving a verified signal?   The stores are using webway.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possibly something like a castle euro 46 incorrectly programmed as area set when it should be level set, when you put your code in it sets both area a and b instead of area a or b and when its activated it signals twice, once for each area even though it is the same zone triggered. Either that or confirmation groups set up wrong on the panel.

Edited by petrolhead

The Control equipment decides if there is a confirmed signal, if a second device is triggered the control equipment will send a different signal "confirmed" and this is the only signal that you should Police assuming that the system in question has Police response and that the abort times have been observed.

Duplicate signals could be sent for many reasons, if the signaling equipment did not receive a message back from the receiver (Kiss Off) or a dual path system sending both paths at the same time. These signals are not because the alarm has been triggered twice.