Security Installer Community

Chaps - Help the uneducated and ignorant

Bluenoze78

GSM module? That's ancient. IMHO its either 'proper monitoring' or COMwifi you want, IMHO anyway. Anyone quoting GSM that hasn't been asked for it I'd suggest is wary of 'anything new fangled'.

Which is not entirely unfair as the Comwifi units have had their fair share of troubles when new. GSM is, in theory, 'more reliable' than COMwifi but as you say it'll cost you in SIM costs and one day, maybe not that soon,

but one day, 2G will be switched off. If you're going to entertain GSM, I'd say just go all the way and get all inclusive + monitoring. And of course with GSM you won't be getting the app etc...

Basically the GSM module is very old hat (its 2G only) and smells a bit to me of an installer having one kicking round the stores for years they just want to get shot of...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

DD

Just the sort of input I need - On the Texecom then what should I ask for in terms of "kit" - COMwifi - does that send signals via the internet / does it run with an application?

Texecom Ricochet with COMwifi?!...instead of GSM (more along the internet / phone line basis) - is this do-able with this system?

THANKS!!!!

Yes, ComWifi gives you the app. The downside is the single path - burglar smashes your phone line, bye bye comms... That's the one thing GSM will save you from,

but will leave you only knowing there's been 'an alarm', not that it was turned off 2 minutes later by a family member etc... nor that it was the garage and then back door so

probably real...

As previously Richochet is just the name for the wireless which is an add-on the texecom panel, same as the Comwifi is.

To be honest if the alarm main system box is going anywhere near your broadband router the wired ComIp would be better yet as half the problems seem to come from the 'wifi' side of the ComWifi.

Having a network cable connection between the alarm and router is my preference (even if it's via a powerline plug).

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yeah you could in theory fit both a ComWifi/IP and a ComGSM (I guess) with the Prems 2 slots, but the only real way

to make it dual path without going down the webway etc... route would be with a 3/4G stick on a compatible router...

A router with Multi-WAN should stop any downtime on your internet.

You in theory can have triple path signalling, each path is an improvement and decreases the chance of downtime thus lost signals.

The issue with all this type of kit is polling, without regular polling you have no way of knowing if your system is doing it's job when your away.

I think if your going to have a monitored system (Self monitored albeit) adding smoke detectors double the value, not in money terms, I mean in terms of having twice the coverage. The risco quote is more comprehensive, but if your BB is reliant on your phone line you need to be sure that the phone line cannot be compromised before you dismiss paying extra for the GSM. Adding smokes to the Texe wouldnt cost that much more, on the same token nor would adding GSM to the Risco