Security Installer Community

Chaps - Help the uneducated and ignorant

Bluenoze78

Hi All.

I'm Joe Public and am looking to you fine men (and women) to guide me on the following alarm system;

Either:

RISCO Agility 3 or the Texecom Ricochet System (Please don't suggest other systems eg Honeywell) as my mind is melting already...I just want a good alarm that will do the job as I've had shifty characters quiz my 14yo daughter about when Im in/out :-(

I need 6 PIR's and 4 door sensors.  I have cctv (with live view iphone abilities) so the camera function on the Risco is not necessarily needed.  I would like the ability to arm/disarm the alarm remotely (iphone).  I have a router and phone line, max distance from PIR to router is approx. 40ft .

Not sure the Texecom ricochet can arm / disarm remotely? although I read there is a new app out to do this or is it just their premier elite system?

Any help views appreciated, even if its to promote one over the other.

Quote for Risco so far is about £1,450

Any help appreciated!!!

Regards

Bluenoze78

Hi there,

I think the consensus here is to avoid Risco. Sure, it has its fans but they are dedicated installers. It doesn't sound like something to troubleshoot

without issues. Just for clarity, I used to LOVE Risco in the old days, but most here think that panel-wise the wheels really have come off the last few years.

Texecom Ricochet is the name of the wireless system that Premier panels use, so any Ricochet based system IS 'Premier'.*

(*There was talk of a universal, standalone reciever system to add to non-texe panels, not sure if it exists, and probably better to ignore this statement or it might cause confusion!)

However, there ARE plenty of other brands people on here might recommend, are you sure you don't want to hear about them?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Guys thanks for responding.

I'm 100% getting it installed (Live in Reading), I'm an office boy with no DIY skills that require 'programming' 'learning' or any other process!.  The problem I have is everyone (installer) has their own preference (Pyronics, Honeywell, Scantronic, Visi... etc etc) and what they like to use often for ease of installation as much as alarm benefits (I get/understand that)

I'd rather find an installer that uses and supports the use of the system I want (so they can fully set it up and show me how to use it). Then will service it with an annual fee not the "service maintenance plan".  Happy to pay just don't want my trousers pulled down.

Texecom is the brand I have not read anyone absolutely slate (just wait :-)) and thus if I can get my iphone to arm/disarm/notify me (in case it goes off) I think that's my preference.....

Is it easier to buy the kit and get someone to fit it or let them procure it?

Thanks for your comments guys, appreciated

Bluenoze

My pref would be Texecom, let the installer design ( with your input obvs) supply and install.

The 1st 12m should be covered for warranty but I would recommend a maint plan, you may be surprised how affordable they are, especially when you factor in inconvenience of waiting for a call in the middle of the night (some co's won't entertain non contracted customers for obvious reasons)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

It's a bad idea to work that way IMO.

Each installer has preferred kit for a few reasons, including engineers will be trained on it and they will have spare parts in stock.

Looking for a manufacturer may force an installer to fit kit they have never used or tested and will only cause you hassle.

Best to get three quotes for systems, consider wired over wireless and if you do go wireless that's fine but make sure all components are two way.

Consider ongoing maintenance and what's included in the service when looking at price.

Go with the company you feel the most comfortable with not necessarily the cheapest.

Norman Thanks

It would seem the hard part is to find an installer to do it - Ive had responses from "I wont do anything that can interact with an iphone" to "I only use Pyronics"

Happy to let any installer configure it, just need to find someone that likes using it! :-)

Bluenoze

If you get an installer that knows Risco well, the Risco panel will be fine. Risco is our budget system, and to be fair they did go downhill for some time, and the programming can be unnecessarily complicated if you are not familiar with programing them, but touch wood I havent had any problems with a Risco panel for the last 9 months and the app is one of the best. Our premium systems are HKC and Vanderbuilt (Siemens) and like for the like the Risco app is as good if not better in some ways. The only thing I would say is that the keypad is a bit cheap looking on the Agility.