Security Installer Community

Asbestos!

jb-eye

shitty way to die, I recall a client who was for want of better words bent over & f#ck by it, he knew the end was coming & got everything done in the house to ensure his Mrs would be okay after he gone so replacement heating, electrics & an alarm she could use with her arthritis (cqr prima 9) was all put in place before he went. Oddly after she became a widow she had no choice to be a little more outgoing, independent & great deal more talkative. Sadly I expect there both long gone.

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

More to the point, why is s****ed on the blocked list :D

Your explanation suggests to me they already knew Asbestos was on site, therefore no one should have been allowed in until the problem removed.

Just reread your post Cubit. In fact the builder didn't have any prior information as to the presence of asbestos on site. He just happened by whilst I was having a dig and said that's what it could be. I'll get it tested and report back.

Sorry to derail the thread BTW, just thought it was a relevant point in view of the topic. :)

Just reread your post Cubit. In fact the builder didn't have any prior information as to the presence of asbestos on site. He just happened by whilst I was having a dig and said that's what it could be. I'll get it tested and report back.

Sorry to derail the thread BTW, just thought it was a relevant point in view of the topic. :)

Im sure you have picked up by now that most trade members treat Asbestos much the same as you would if confronted by an addict with a loaded gun. For some of us its already to late and most of us know or have worked with someone who is affected. Unfortunately as i found some pups think they are indistructable and will happily work with the killer. You may have found a builder as i found an installer who was cavalier enough to play roulette. IMO this does not release me from my conscience towards another humans well being. In my curcumstance i refused the offer of cheap labour.

Customers!

More to the point, why is s****ed on the blocked list :D

Thing is, he should have already checked.

Hi,

My view on this would be to arrange for someone else to conduct the installation of the containment if possible. The issue then lies with them, although I accept that will undoubtably attract additional cost. Asbestos is one of the more nasty issues presented in H&S. It is pretty much a no no to break the surface of the Asbestos. Drilling or screwing direct in my opinion, would have the same affect causing the 'sealed' content to turn to dust. In the last post it was mentioned that the use of PPE such as masks and paper suits. It is my opinion that this would not be adequate. As soon as you break the surface you are creating a risk. Although wearing PPE will help, it should always be the last line of defence. Also the masks and suits would have to be of a certain type, possibley with a built in filter. They would also have to be disposed of correctly.

I would recommend getting a survery by a qualified H&S consultant, with the aim of coming up with a suitable and sufficient solution to the problem. This would include a hefty set of RAMS I imagine.

I have experienced a gel/putty like substance which can be applied to the area which will be drilled with a paint brush. You can the drill the area through the gel, with the dust being captured by the gel. This was detailed within a specific RAMS for the task. There are also drill bit adapters with catchers as seen in previous posts. If these are attached to hoovers I think the hoover needs to be of a special type. Also the used bags need to be correctly disposed of.

Please take my comments as a guide based on experience and my personal opinion not as recommendations. H&S is a sticky subject especially where Asbestos is concerned. It is always best to be belt and braces.

I hope this has been of some assistance.

Would you guys be comfortable with the instal or am i asking to much. I intend to do an air sample before during and after. Your comments are appreciated and welcome. The Radio option is not acceptable.

What have/had you done before in this situation?

The though has occured as you seem to have a definitive plan.

What have/had you done before in this situation?

The though has occured as you seem to have a definitive plan.

Before I've drilled it sawn it even made rabbit hutch out of the stuff Now I'm informed its a killer and it may end taking me. Yes I have a plan V1 was price me out V2 was based on a risk plan V2/1 Was amended after being discussed with a number of sensible knowledgeable people. Anyway the plan is set out in the above pages.

Customers!

Before I've drilled it sawn it even made rabbit hutch out of the stuff Now I'm informed its a killer and it may end taking me. Yes I have a plan V1 was price me out V2 was based on a risk plan V2/1 Was amended after being discussed with a number of sensible knowledgeable people. Anyway the plan is set out in the above pages.

Thing is, unless i've missed it, to be compliant with HSE directives this job can't be done without bringing in HSE licenced asbestos contractors.

Archived