Security Installer Community

System Take Overs - Replacing Equipment

This week I have been to a few system takeovers, when I get there I check paper work if any or ask when it was installed. They are only bells only systems or some with speech diallers.

Do you think this is fair to advise on a system replacement if older than 10yrs?

Some customers look at me with shock! I always advise them that parts could become an issue to obtain and obviously the advance in technology.

It makes my life easier if they allow us to install our kit as it makes it a little more uniform for us not having to learn so many different panels. If I was a customer and I watched my engineer pulling out a manual I would be thinking if he actually knew what he was doing!

Being small still we have about 30 domestics that have contracts with us at the moment and we have about 10 different panels with them all it does get a headache sometimes.

If I was a customer and I watched my engineer pulling out a manual I would be thinking if he actually knew what he was doing!

QFA

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Us technicians can only know so much!, no amount of training/experiance will give us 100% on all systems-surely the backup is the manuals.

I'd disagree if anyone said they don't, unless it's a panel they know well-and even then none of us know them inside out I dare say.

What I think we all do is head to the van on the pretence of requiring something!.

I agree with the OP we wont takeover something unless its one our supported panels. Id rather not have the contract. It becomes imo a jack of all panels master of none type thing.

Replace the controls (id probably leave the rest if its ok) If audible only then they are not much and you could always have a 3 etc year contract and spread the panel cost over that. Will be cheaper for you both in the long term.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

If I was a customer and I watched my engineer pulling out a manual I would be thinking if he actually knew what he was doing!

Lets look at this the other way, I have had customers query me on exactly this. My answer the engineer is 22 the panel is 10, so he was most probably still at primary school when this panel was installed. The engineer has undertaken an apprentiship and passed with flying colours, he has been shown the basics of most panels but its impossible to train an engineer on every panel out there, and why would we if the panel is no longer made? Looking at manuals and calling senior engineers is fine in my book and so long as the service is carried out with no problems then whats the problem.

Agree with above .

The first company I worked for doing my apprenticeship had an excellent director/engineer who would still on occasion grab the book.

It only really menu driven stuff that's easy to do without one .

If the customer has an "old" panel then it's quite reasonable to see an engineer with the manual ( I've got most on my iPhone so it's not as obvious but even still )

If I were a ustomer I wouldn't like a new company to take over and say I need a panel change .

I do find it hard to have a "customers point of view" when being in the trade

Lets look at this the other way, I have had customers query me on exactly this. My answer the engineer is 22 the panel is 10, so he was most probably still at primary school when this panel was installed. The engineer has undertaken an apprentiship and passed with flying colours, he has been shown the basics of most panels but its impossible to train an engineer on every panel out there, and why would we if the panel is no longer made? Looking at manuals and calling senior engineers is fine in my book and so long as the service is carried out with no problems then whats the problem.

Problem is as a sub i dont want your companys inexsperienced engineer. Send me a man who knows what hes doing. Im sick of idiots passing themselves off as skilled then making a call for back up. I want the guy at the other end of the phone not some pup learning his trade and charging me for the pleasure.

Agree with above .

If I were a ustomer I wouldn't like a new company to take over and say I need a panel change .

But if it were new and cost you nothing then you would. James said spread the cost over 3 years and hes right it will be cheaper for you in the long run

Customers!

But then again would it not put a little more trust from a customers view that it is a complete new system that only our company has played with so no back door access so to speak.

Looking at experience when would you say the age of the panel is enough and it is time for a replacement

Problem is as a sub i dont want your companys inexsperienced engineer. Send me a man who knows what hes doing. Im sick of idiots passing themselves off as skilled then making a call for back up. I want the guy at the other end of the phone not some pup learning his trade and charging me for the pleasure.

Have you been drinking Jef? LOL

Surely if I was subbing for you then we would be installing something new, we train our engineers in new stuff not ten year old systems ? Unless you install second hand stuff of course.

And anyway a 22 year old wont be inexperienced, he would of had 6 years experience.

Archived