Security Installer Community

New Installers - Advice

nickoxford

Can anyone offer ANY advice to a new installer ? I worked for BT for a long time and now I am going alone. I am thinking of registering with NSI but I am sure there a loads of other things I need to consider too.

I have PLI, Limited Company etc. but I would love advice on the best manufacturers for home security systems, pro's and cons of wired vs wireless etc.

Maybe you had all the same questions or some different ones which you wished you had asked ?

It will really help me.

Thanks.....

Can anyone offer ANY advice to a new installer ? I worked for BT for a long time and now I am going alone. I am thinking of registering with NSI but I am sure there a loads of other things I need to consider too.

I have PLI, Limited Company etc. but I would love advice on the best manufacturers for home security systems, pro's and cons of wired vs wireless etc.

Maybe you had all the same questions or some different ones which you wished you had asked ?

It will really help me.

Thanks.....

Yep,

Beware of using 240v drills. :whistle:

• 1 month later...

What sort of experience with fire/security systems have you got?

QFA

With respect if you think you're gonna go from BT to installing alarms you have a long hard slog ahead of you with a lot to learn.

My advice would be to go and work in the industry for at least a year before thinking about starting out on your own, I've known really experienced engineers start off on their own and fail.

• 7 months later...

QFA

With respect if you think you're gonna go from BT to installing alarms you have a long hard slog ahead of you with a lot to learn.

My advice would be to go and work in the industry for at least a year before thinking about starting out on your own, I've known really experienced engineers start off on their own and fail.

Good advise i have worked in the industry for 7 years and intruder still gives me greef now...

not as simple as it may seem, bloody resisters parralel/series...

who cares...

My top tip for an ex-BT installer would be - skirting boards are out of bounds..

cruel, they are'nt allowed to lift carpets.....

I would assume there more money & less grief in telephone system or structured cabling ?

If you have a non trade back in alarms it quite hard to be exposed to large signalling system which of naturally provide a better income than baning simple alarms in houses

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Archived