Security Installer Community

New Installers - Advice

nickoxford

• 1 year later...

The hardest thing is to establish a good client base, if like me your not registered you will have problems getting office/commercial work as you can not offer Police connection via URN, that means the insurance co will give your client a hard time or refuse to insure them, and that puts you at a disadvantage against registered installers, even if your actually a lot cheaper. You will be asked are you are a member of NSI or SSAIB, very few clients will go with you if your new to them, preferring less hassle.

you will likely end up in the cheap market, this is hard work for very little profit, and you can get knocked down on the price having installed.

As others said, broaden your foot print into structured cabling and CCTv, you already know cabling and phone systems, which are far easier to get work, way more profitable than alarm systems - that can get you out of bed.

You feel you want to try, by all means. Going the regulated route us fine, but you need an office, and at least another engineer, that means increase in your PL premiums, another vehicle, wages, NI, TAX need i say more?

very expensive i get started, and partnerships rarely run smoothly.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

So what is wrong with an office from home?

A garage?

Who says he needs another engineer to start with?

If you are going to reply.............at least be accurate.

Then again the sig line says it all.

So what is wrong with an office from home?

A garage?

Who says he needs another engineer to start with?

If you are going to reply.............at least be accurate.

Then again the sig line says it all.

from someone who uses the Union Jack with what looks like Millwall football hooligan on it!

From when i was interested, you can have an office at home but it needs to be secure and a separate entrance, that might attract business rates. he could buddy' but that means possibly letting strangers into you sites because your not availabke - not something i'd be keen on, as i might have got you.

You will be asked are you are a member of NSI or SSAIB, very few clients will go with you if your new to them, preferring less hassle.

how is being regulated by an inspectorate hassle for the end user.?

you will likely end up in the cheap market, this is hard work for very little profit, and you can get knocked down on the price having installed.

finally, you admit your place in the market, but it contradicts your overall view.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

i never registered and been going since 1985, never had a CCJ or gone bankrupt and my taxes are up to date. If i starting today it would be very tough to get established imho, but i would advise to go registered but not straight away, get the feel first of is ths fir you, most who stay in this trade are of the rockers, simply because they love it.

unless you already have some heavy hitters as clients you will be feeding off scraps and work others don't want, and with respects to a fellow engineer in another trade, the buck now stops with you - so do you have anyone who can help you solve issues should you need it?

another problem you get is false leads, i.e. you get invited to quote lead from an advertisement, you turn up go through your patter, discuss then get told "i was only curious". Basically they are likely saying thay have had other quotes and you are being used to gauge them. Costly, and highly aggravating.l

tbh although, i'm known for having an axe to grind with the inspectorates (not their good members as some seem to think), i'd suggest go to an NSi induction, not sure if the SSAIB do them but i expect so, they were free and you got a nice lunch.

you can also send off for packs showing how they like things done, the pack is free but the compliance with will likely cost, thing like using hooky copy software are not allowed.

you get to ask the questions and for advice and might even get the answers, this is your future so should not become another thread with so called respected members knocking each other about.

you get to ask the questions and for advice and might even get the answers, this is your future so should not become another thread with so called respected members knocking each other about.

Arf, if that's for the OP he's not been seen in 2yrs

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

how is being regulated by an inspectorate hassle for the end user.?finally, you admit your place in the market, but it contradicts your overall view.

it is far more hassle than i have to put up with, but why ask? i'm suggesting he go's the registered route once he finds his feet, as i would suggest to anyone.

where ever did i say or admit i'm cheap????

i can speak from as a OMB from experience and pit falls as a non registered - so do you also argue that?

if you don't dyslexia read what i wrote, it suggests he will have problems when up against registered competitors (which you means if he stays outside of the schemes), why, because he can't offer URN, he can't get insurers discount or perhaps even accepted for insurance.

i assuming UNLIKE ME, who has a very large client base of wealthy stature, i've no need to advertise for work. not only a nice way to work, but i also avoid many of the 'i was only curious' numpty meets.

what is there not to understand Norman? and if not, please don't divert the thread simply to grind any axe you have with me - or are you related in some way to OXO.?

Arf, if that's for the OP he's not been seen in 2yrs

i'm a bit 'rusty' i here lol! i clicked on recent posts button

Archived