Security Installer Community

New Installers - Advice

nickoxford

We worked out of my office in my garage for the 1st 3 years

the way that it was put to me by the NSI is they don't like it and expect you to set up a 'proper' office as soon as practical, reasons were given they don't like their inspectors falling over kids toys, getting bitten by dogs or covered in cats hair. doing the job we do, i think i can understand that with some if the places i've been to.

intimation was where you canrestrict access to company personnel, have a safe and locked cabinets, isolation marked areas for retuned/faulty bits and so on. SSAIB were less pushy on this, but NSI would have been my preferred option. i don't suffer fools easily and they were simply snappier and better defined - well imho.

We worked out of my office in my garage for the 1st 3 years

just curious, and all respects but which inspectorate are you registered with, did not see it in your profile.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

from someone who uses the Union Jack with what looks like Millwall football hooligan on it!

Wow it`s true,your brain goes then your eyes.

what is there not to understand Norman? and if not, please don't divert the thread simply to grind any axe you have with me - or are you related in some way to OXO.?

Grasping at straws old man, grasping at straws.

SSAIB same as us. You mentioned you'd prefer NSI but we went down the path of both and told NSI to get lost in the end.

SSAIB are i think less stringent on their installers set up, early days they appeared and gave small installers a way to get URN's. took them a long time to get acceptance, with many insurer's just starting NACOSS,/NSI registered.

I think that practice has now all but stopped.

i think there was a court action or some rumpus to stop it.

i wonder it will matter soon, if your services are accepted and become wide spread, the whole point of URN requirement falls flat.

Do you now or think eventually, you might instigate some sort of filtering to block out incompetent or rouge installers from abusing it?

When i started up it was often quoted that 98 percent of automatic intruder calls were false alarms. i don't want them days back and the Police will take action to stop wasting their time, perhaps even issue fines, are bring out a policy for this kind of signaling.

just can't think they will sit back on this, and i fear the Inspectorates, big alarm co's and the ARC's will combine against you at some time, just as happened when regulation started.

from someone who uses the Union Jack with what looks like Millwall football hooligan on it! he could buddy' but that means possibly letting strangers into you sites because your not availabke - not something i'd be keen on,

So what do you do for covering your callout when your unavailable

rare that i am unavailable, but i have my son and a couple of Gold companies if needed - never have been though.

my business model is different to most, i don't have an annual fee, most my alarms are domestic, albeit tend to be higher end hmes

i really don't get many fault calls, obviously i get my share of damaged cables, new front ors etc. it used ti get awkward if the bell started up due to a panel fault, but since using Gardtec that is very very rare

these days sirens time out, and will have timed out well before i can get there,.i do offer to turn out for out of hours if needed but it is naturally more expensive and not within the 3 year warranty (parts are though), they tend to wait morning or weekdays.

i think there was a court action or some rumpus to stop it.i wonder it will matter soon, if your services are accepted and become wide spread, the whole point of URN requirement falls flat.Do you now or think eventually, you might instigate some sort of filtering to block out incompetent or rouge installers from abusing it?When i started up it was often quoted that 98 percent of automatic intruder calls were false alarms. i don't want them days back and the Police will take action to stop wasting their time, perhaps even issue fines, are bring out a policy for this kind of signaling.just can't think they will sit back on this, and i fear the Inspectorates, big alarm co's and the ARC's will combine against you at some time, just as happened when regulation started.

The evidence says otherwise. I'm aware of a certain non approved system that has been given secured by design approval, is allowed to use police officer pictures in marketing, has the met police logos on it and has a testimonial from a serving DCI in the met. It was brought up at the latest acpo meeting but there is no desire from the cops to stop this happening, despite repeated concerns from the approved arcs that its going on, our arc would meet cat 2 except the walls so we could with little stress get cat 2 approval but the reason we didn't go to the expense is that I know of non approved arcs operating practically out of a back bedroom with 2 laptops getting the same response from the police as proper arcs. A the saying goes, if you can't beet them join em.

Taking my industry hat off if I am walking down the street as Joe public and see a burglary in progress when I ring the police they don't ask for a urn. If someone sat in an arc can see a burglary in progress, why should they need a urn to dispatch the police?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived