Security Installer Community

What movement sensor and led floodlight wattage for 10m height?

CYPER

I live in a block of flats on the 4th floor and want to install a LED floodlight triggered by a narrow angle movement sensor.

There is a parking lot in front of the block and the installation height is around 10m.

Can you recommend a movement sensor to detect people walking downstairs but not across the entire parking lot.

Also what floodlight wattage would be sufficient for 10m height? There are 100,200,400,500,800,1000W on Amazon.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

I doubt you will find and all in one unit that would do something that.

Before you even consider anything I would contact the landlord and explain that you feel the need for better lighting in the area.

It's not your responsibility to be adjusting the electrics in a flat

I am not looking for an all in one unit, but separate. 

I have permission to install it, it is not in the UK. 

4 hours ago, james.wilson said:

Agreed and thatounting height is outside of any pir I know specs

But height is a relative term. If we vusually rotate the block of flats 90 degrees then its face will be the ground and so installation will be at ground level. And the parking lot will be like the opposite wall 10m away. If I adjust the mounting angle of the sensor would it work? Most cheap sensors have a max distance of 12m.

I still think the comment stands UK or not. If I where the landlord I wouldn't want someone modifying the electrics, especially in a HMO

It sounds like it needs a separate PIR unit wired to the light location, depending on the setup you may need a few PIR locations and a 2way or intermediate.

Hard to recommend something without understanding the full picture and also would be designed for UK wiring regs which maybe irrelevant.

Light output should also measured in Lux which will give you a better indication than Wattage

1 hour ago, CYPER said:

What further information is needed to understand the full picture? 

a sketch / plan...

there's also little point in recommending kit which made not meet the the requirement of whatever country your intending to fit it in.

If your intending to do a electric work, some country's require you have qualification to their national standards & permits to work.

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

14 hours ago, CYPER said:

I live in a block of flats on the 4th floor and want to install a LED floodlight triggered by a narrow angle movement sensor.

There is a parking lot in front of the block and the installation height is around 10m.

Can you recommend a movement sensor to detect people walking downstairs but not across the entire parking lot.

Also what floodlight wattage would be sufficient for 10m height? There are 100,200,400,500,800,1000W on Amazon.

Thank you.

GJD pirs? I forget the name of others but also redwall 

But I doubt you want to spend that much and flaff around integrating those items although gjd is more striaght forward...

Edited by al-yeti