Security Installer Community

Starting Up

cheap protection? there is a limit to how cheap its still doable. btw ive got an offer on cheap airbags for Vauxhall...

wont work as well as the proper ones but they are cheap

sell your proper one for a huge 'profit'

kin hope you don't need it work mind

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

OP I mean no disrespect here but as an apprentice you tend to not have a vast amount of experience. If this is going to be your bread and butter you gotta be good, can you take over a Castle panel one day, then work witha Pyronix / Visonic the next? Do you fully understand IP cctv and networking? Wiring locks and the diiferent access panels on the market?

I think the issue now is theres a lot of installers, all going for the same work but customers don't want to part with their cash. This is where you start seeing the Swann's and the Yales everywhere, that's killing local work.

I'm a one man band, 25, estate car, signed up, advertise online, flyer and word of mouth but I still don't have enough work for full time!

If you can make it work, do it. But it isnt easy, not by a long shot.

Edited by Night Owl
  • Upvote 1

I've got lots of work & not enough staff & manflu

Yesterday I worked the morning & went home at 14:00 as I've not been able to able to speak for 12hrs

Today I could speak a little & had a voice most of the day, the 2 of us removed & replaced a radio alarm, new system has 31 devices, 2 ewds &  5 buttoned fobs

I also spent sometime stood outside in the failing snow in a polo shirt whilst sweating like a rapist, If I was employed I expect I would be still under a duvet from monday

Edited by MrHappy

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Hiya,

I'm new to this forum so treat me gently. Believe it or not I'm actually an apprentice for a very big fire & security company in UK based all over. I'll be qualified in July and hopefully start a fire and security company mid to end of his year.

I've worked in the industry for nearly 5 years doing mainly fire but have installed dozens of intruder, cctv and access control. I'm after some advice on how to start up? What do I need etc such as tools, van.

I don't want to be messed around with or lead off the subject, I'd like some proper advice if possible. I am very eager and willing to commit myself to long days and wanting a successful business.

Open to suggestions on how I should start?

As a house basher , just wondered if you worked for 5yrs, does it take that long to complete an apprenticeship?

How will you do this part time? Will you tell bigger customers evenings and weekends only?

Is your current employer got you on a tracker so will you sneak off to do quotes etc?

Big question , do you use the company photocopier without permission for personal use?

Don't worry I just a house basher so trying to work out what angle your coming from

Save enough money in case you don't make any for a couple of years , or persuade someone to give you a big loan , or do another business on the side

H can give you advice on house refurbs as there's good money in it, and there's a few plumbers here to

• 3 weeks later...

Well as a sole trader I've been leafleting and undercutting my local competition with good results and after 6 months the work has been constant but only targeting houses and not making much at all on each job (days wage here and there and thats it). I have had no business plan but I'm in the very fortunate position i have income from elsewhere otherwise i would not be able to do this at all - It would be back to being a service engineer! Its not easy at all, you need to be prepared to not make ends meet until you get ssaib and the bigger jobs as someone else stated which I feel I'm not ready for yet even though i have had 10 years in the trade and started as an apprentice. Im only doing it to stay busy but it is agro being a sole trader in this game I'm not looking forward now to what the ssaib may bring into my life.