Security Installer Community

Replacement Alarm / Sab

Rekusu

Possibly, don't get me wrong ill help a genuine "customer" with basic things , but no codes no manuals. To be honest I wouldn't give the Menu numbers either.

If its programming or anything more than changing the time or date IMO its an engineers job.

Yeah sounds about right. I used to get pissed off with what some people wrote. Learnt to be a bit calmer now tho.

It's when they give the public infomation, codes and engineer manuals including defaulting instructions that I get really wound up.

I can understand the annoyance but I sometimes wonder even with the info, is it any use to them. Take me for example. I know nothing about cars and no amount of documents or someone telling me how to fix something would allow me to fix a problem with my car as I'm not a mechanic. I wonder how many of the DIY warriors get something that actually works properly.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

A lot apparently have working Yale systems . According to the members and mods of said DIY site. Or not !

I've seen around 50 or so and all had issues and been ripped out and a "proper alarm" fitted

A lot apparently have working Yale systems . According to the members and mods of said DIY site. Or not !

I've seen around 50 or so and all had issues and been ripped out and a "proper alarm" fitted

Saying that, the first alarm I installed was an A1 AJ600 from b&q and that's how I started to learn and progressed onto the AJ600N. After all this time worked my way up to an R8 now!

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Omnicron?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Saying that, the first alarm I installed was an A1 AJ600 from b&q and that's how I started to learn and progressed onto the AJ600N. After all this time worked my way up to an R8 now!

Well done, next try a premier !

Omnicron?

Was thinking logic 4 myself ..

cyber whats your take on narrow vs wide band rf?

I think it's a bit of a misnomer really... the technical definition (message bandwidth < coherence bandwidth) is meaningless to most.

For some reason, "narrowband" has come to mean a lot of things in wireless alarms:

1. Generally narrowband systems are in 868MHz. This is currently less busy that 434MHz, but not by much (at least in London). There are slightly tighter regs on 868MHz, so contention is less of an issue. But you shouldn't have an issue with a properly designed 434MHz system anyway.

2. Generally narrowband systems use more advanced RF frontends that non-narrowband. Older Yale stuff is just AM OOK modulation, simple resonators and basic analog receivers with RC AGC circuits. The receivers are very basic, and can't really detect jamming well. Friedland's Response uses CC1150 transmitters and CC1101 transceivers, which are very advanced and could allow a lot of additional functionality to be used (realtime RSSI, much better sensitivity, tunable AGC). But if the CC11xx chips were used for non-narrowband comms, you'd still be able to take advantage of this additional functionality.

3. Narrowband is harder to jam, marginally. You need to be tuned to exactly the same frequency and have enough power to overwhelm the signal. This is a direct result of it being narrowband. For unintentional jamming (i.e. noise), this is great. For intentional jamming (i.e. me), it doesn't make much of a difference.

But it makes people say things like this:

The Enforcer wireless alarm is on the latest 868Mhz Narrow band frequency which is totally secure unlike other cheaper 433Mhz systems

That's a massive jump. The Friedland Response alarms are narrowband, but are not really any more secure than the Yale ones. 

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Disclaimer - I'm not an engineer, but I have had a Yale alarm for testing for a while.

It does seem fairly reliable (alarm signals get through), it doesn't false alarm, it doesn't detect jamming when there is none (it doesn't detect jamming when there is jamming though), battery life seems OK.

It is trivially easy to jam and has a number of other electronic vulnerabilities.

But the panel has no configurability at all. The sensors all default to entry zone, so you have plenty of time to get in and rip the panel off the wall. The manual doesn't even really explain why you'd want to alter any settings.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Archived