Security Installer Community

Replacement Alarm / Sab

Rekusu

Hi there,

Further to my Replacing RKP thread, I'm starting a new one!

Yesterday, following the advice here, I replaced her old alarm with a Accenta Gen4 Mini, associated RKP and Activ8 PIR.  Had previously done a continuity check on the cables and know which is which.

The old ADT system had EOL resistors in everything and all PIRs used only 4 of the available 8 cores. The Activ8 PIRs uses six of the cores (+/-; 2 x tamp; 2 x zone.)

There are only three PIRs in use, a fire alarm and door contact.  One PIR was labeled by the installer, Hall/SAB and it does run via an interanl SAB before going going to the PIR.  The hall PIR uses 6 cores, leaving only two for the internal SAB, which currently has 4 connected.  I know this SAB works and it would be convenient to keep it.  But what happens to make it operate?

The next thing is the external sounder.  Also ADT fitted, but there does not appear to be any visible cable from the sounder to the pcb.  Coming into the control panel, there are 5 cables (front door, 3 x PIR and fire)  It's an old house and all the cables are surface mounted, but I cannot see it.  Of course, it may be a dummy ADT box with the intent of the internal SAB making the noise.

Any thoughts gratefully taken on bouard,

Thanks

Rex

post-39594-0-68073900-1368085174_thumb.j

The external will be a decoy, that's why you have an internal bell.

If the pir and sab are on the same cable and you need an extra 2 then you have a little bit of a problem.

You could use the 12v feed for both the sab and the pir and then you would only need 2 wires ie bell trigger and tamper return but a bit rough IMO, I'd just run a new cable.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I'd ditch the tamper on the detector, if you need more cores.

Best way is to run a new cable and put the sounder OUTSIDE. And have a internal speaker.

Regs just say it needs an SAB doesn't say where but the comfort lights on the SAB, is a deterant for would be burglars

Brillinat, Many thanks to all.  Yes, JamesWilson is correct in that it was a signalled system so in all likehood, the external sounder is a dummy.  I'll investigae running an extra cable for a real external sounder.  I'll take the above advice for the internal as she would like it.

I did buy what I thought was a replacement internal SAB but it is only a speaker with a 12v connection.  Presumably if I install that (plus an external sounder) the extra two cores on the existing cable would just go to the external speaker output on the pcb?

Rex

I did buy a remote 16 ohm speaker in the mistaken belief that it was a replacement internal sounder (and the guy in TLC was not much help!)  Presmuably I would connect it directly to the speaker outlets on the pcb?  Presumably it only sounds when the alarm trigger it?

If I took the disable the tamper on the ajoining PIR, and use the extra cores for the existing sounder,  do I need to put a jumper across the PIR tamp contacts?

Rex

First off, many thanks for the advice; the Accenta Gen 4 is almost working and the neighbour is very pleased.  It is taking longer than I expected but hey, it's a learning curve!

There are some items that I am not clear about, the first being really simple.

Tamper:  although there are three PIR's on the system, only two of them are connected to the TAMP terminal on the pcb.   Assuming the tamp wire colours to be yellow/blue, do I connect yellow of the first PIR and blue of the second to the respective two pcb screw terminals and join the other y/b together to complete the circuit?

Sounder:  she only has an internal sounder because when the system was originally installed by ADT, it was a dial-up service and the current external box is a dummy.  She is happy to keep it this way.  I have removed the tamp from the adjacent PIR to give the sounder the four contacts it needs.  The image in my first post is the sounder contact.

The sounder has six terminals, two are the battery and can be discounted.  The others are marked from the top, R- / H+ / H- / RTN.  On the panel pcb (Accenta Gen 4 Mini) there are T / A (joined with a bracket labelled SCB) and D / B (joined with the word Bell.)  My problem is, which pairs do I connect?  At the moment, I have RTN to T / H- to A / H+ to D and R- to B but grateful for any other correct combinations.

Many thanks,

Rex

Finally, after too much time spent grovelling around in the back of a small cupbarod, I have managed to get the alarm running as is should.

Many thanks for the advice, it has been much appreciated.

Rex

Archived