Security Installer Community

Alarm Fault On A Veritas R8 Plus

marcus19811981

I will probably walk a way as you said.

The chime on the Veritas. The panels do chime if you only run on battery. Every 60 seconds.  I usually only fit the R8 plus. the other models might not chime. I spoke to texecom about it wondering if the chime on mains fail can be disabled.They say it can't.  Its a problem if mains fail in a particular area. I have had customers phone me up.  All I could do was tell them to wait until the power comes back on.  Texecom do not think this is a problem. I don't know if other panels do this.

Another installation where you would have been better off with....

electronics whatever

I agree, have almost been there, maybe not with an agressive client but a pre-wired new build house that turned out
was a mess of tangled / snagged wiring mixed in with the mains cabling (we ended up lifting floorboards,
wish I'd taken a picture).

Probably best to refund and walk away, if its that small an amount. Sound like people to avoid anyway. If you can
get your kit so much the better. You can imagine how much this is going to cost you in silly call outs that will always
be 'your fault' in the future, even if it does work again. Its not fair but life really is too short IMO to do anything else.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

A few people on this site seem to suggest I under charged. This is a difficult one. I fit a Tesxecom Vertas R8 + (grade 2) stand alone panels. 3 medusa PIRs. 1 door contact £320. If they need additional items Its £35 per PIR or £38 for shocks. I ve no idea what anotheer company would charge. You can't really phone them up and ask. I am in the process of attempting to get a creditation SSAIB. Because I don't have this theres a limit to what I can charge. I don't install ungraded systems. You can get these for some thing like £200. I try to justify my price because all the equipment and install criteris is grade 2. Its these very cheap £200 installers and customers don't know what there buying. If you charge £320 some just think I over charge. I think my stratergies need to change if I am going to go for SSAIB.

I started this business of because I lost my electronics engnineer job after a car accident suffered a permanent medical problem. If I tred to wotk for a company theres issues. I do this work instead at my own pace because I was not prepared to spend the rest of my life on state benefits. Things have improved and want the SSAIB creditation. Its the money. Do other member think I under charge?

A few people on this site seem to suggest I under charged. This is a difficult one. I fit a Tesxecom Vertas R8 + (grade 2) stand alone panels. 3 medusa PIRs. 1 door contact £320. If they need additional items Its £35 per PIR or £38 for shocks. I ve no idea what anotheer company would charge. You can't really phone them up and ask. I am in the process of attempting to get a creditation SSAIB. Because I don't have this theres a limit to what I can charge. I don't install ungraded systems. You can get these for some thing like £200. I try to justify my price because all the equipment and install criteris is grade 2. Its these very cheap £200 installers and customers don't know what there buying. If you charge £320 some just think I over charge. I think my stratergies need to change if I am going to go for SSAIB.I started this business of because I lost my electronics engnineer job after a car accident suffered a permanent medical problem. If I tred to wotk for a company theres issues. I do this work instead at my own pace because I was not prepared to spend the rest of my life on state benefits. Things have improved and want the SSAIB creditation. Its the money. Do other member think I under charge?

In a word, yes. The people who buy from the £199 brigade aren't good customers.

On the SSAIB front is it something you really want to go to the expense of? Intruder alarms has got so cut throat and having the resource to get jobs is extremely expensive. Wouldn't you prefer to do non approved jobs as sub contract to another installer? I have a few contractors who make more money subbying for me than they did with their own little business but without the headache or worry of having to win business. Every hour they work, they get paid rather than sending money they don't have on trying to find new customers.

You also have to question why would someone use you against another installer? What do you have that is unique or different to the company they are already with? The next issue is hardware. There are companies like us (and others on here) who will underwrite the cost of the control equipment to gain a long term rmr deal but smaller companies tend not to have the financial resource to do that.

You've seen on here that at the lower end people will get 6 quotes and still not proceed with a £500 order. Do you really want to play in that arena? Not trying to put you off but I've seen plenty of good engineers go and get SSAIB without a thought to how hard it is to jet work and make money, especially with such stuff competition in the market with much more resource to win new business.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Thanks for that info. I didn't think that there were that many installers who wern't registered. Thats intresting. When I Sell a system which (Ive been doing for 11 years), I try to empehises that I am a medium priced company between the abolute budget installers (grade 1)and the large companies like ADT who could charge £700.00 for the same system I sell. I offer grade 2 and the grade 2 stand alone systems with a privatly monitored dialler. Unlike the cheaper budget installer mine are guranteed to have the tampers included and the SAB and no on board keypads. Ive seen loads of these cheap systems. No tampers, no sab and it a panel with an on board keypad right where intruder can get at it

Thanks for your advice and info.

Archived