Security Installer Community

Alarm Fault On A Veritas R8 Plus

marcus19811981

What I intend to do:

1. Install my own fused spur unit and connect it to its own fuse on the consumer unit.

2. Remove all alarm cabling from the panel and link out the zones.

3. Reconnect 1 and 2 above seperatly. I will then know if its the mains supply spur or the alarm cabling.

The problem was I wanted to do this but the customer decided they wanted the system removing and their money back but won't allow me to have the chance to find the problem.

They cant insist on a refund without giving you the opportunity to fix any issues. Id tell them that, then do nothing. Wait until they accept this and come back to you and give you that opportunity. make it clear at this point that you expect to be paid for fixing any faults which are not your fault. Record all your actions and test results, get signatures off them on your call form etc, then if the fault is with their cable/spur/equipment bill them for your time to diagnose/fix.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

No need to do that.

Make it clear any cables fitted by others (Supplied by you) will be tested before any fitting of equipment.

Companies do this all the time in new builds/refurbs.

Your issue is you never tested anything (Correctly or not).

I had a problem with a system a few years ago where the customer had fitted tha alarm cables prior to me installing the system.  I took the floor boards up and found that they had put the alarm wires treaded with the electric wiring loom.  They insisted it wasn't the problem but when I put an oscilloscope on various parts of the alarm system there was signals present. Some old appliances in the kitchen with motors was causing it.  I should have learnt my lesson then.  As I just said never again! if its the customers own cabling.  

I've fitted systems using cables others have installed and supplied. Only ever had one problem where a few cables were marked incorrectly and one was missed ( plasters eh lol )

Guess I've been lucky.

But as others have said just make sure it's in writing first .

No your right I should have done that. It was a few years ago when I first started installing alarms. What was happening, When one of the kitchen appliances was switching on, There was noise on the alarm cabling.  Even the hoover they used when I was there was showing on there televion picture.

Archived