Security Installer Community

Roller Shutter 1 Or 2 Contacts?

progear

An intruder wouldn't know what side it was on.

If the shutter is under 6ft, it's extremely unlikely to lift it without activation unless it's been cut.

That's why best practice would be to install two shutter contacts, one either side.

It's all dependant on the risk assessment really, if the likelihood is that the door is vulnerable and could possibly be cut with a grinder or rammed open then this should be already picked up within your servey / risk assessment, hence an additional beam or other detection device to cover it

The 2 bolts going through the shutter holding the magnet in place could be a giveaway sometimes

A skilled installer does not use this method.

Self drilling screws are best for roller shutter magnets.

The 2 bolts going through the shutter holding the magnet in place could be a giveaway sometimes

Unless its been butchered before hand, I can't think of any need to have bolts visible outside ?

A skilled installer....

type's faster ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Each one an excellent point, and I am not trying to wind anyone up. All my roller shutter contacts are bolted on to be absolutely certain of no movement and the correct operating gap...sometimes up to 57mm (but that depends on the natural movement of the shutter when closed - wind etc.). I endorse the use of self tappers although I have never used them for this procedure (so I guess I am not in the skilled installer league Amps). There may be numerous reasons why there are two bolts in a roller shutter abbz so if that is the case the intruder knows exactly what he's looking for.. why not just stick two dummy bolts on the other side ? but I guess you're not talking about the 'common or garden' thief..so I get the point. It seems that PSE has the answer with a internal quad or dual tec etc aimed directly at the roller shutter, this is the method I have used for years. You see, the bellbox (do you still call external sounders by that name ?) is the first thing the intruder would look for (not always a common sense thing to do since arc link may cancel this out - provided the latest directives allow you to omit the external device - I wouldn't know !!). Assuming that the intruder has seen the warning device and decides to go ahead anyway and regardless of the circumstances, I fail to see that it matters which side, both sides, or top left or right, are going to make much difference... we used to call this a 'gross attack' and in these cases there is no guarantee that police response would be fast enough. If cost is not the overriding factor (and dependant on your risk factors PSE) perhaps twin external beams in this area would be a safer bet.