Security Installer Community

Direct Response Security On Rogue Traders

So their actual crime is what exactly?

Ill try to answer that one.

The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 have replaced most of the Trade Descriptions Act. These regulations make it an offence to mislead consumers about goods and services. Misleading practices could include false or deceptive messages, misleading after-sales information or leaving out important information. An advert is misleading if it deceives or is likely to deceive its audience and affect their economic decision-making. This also applies if it harms or is likely to harm a competitor of the organisation placing the advertisement.
Residents in the area were currently being phoned by a Company called Direct Response Security who were offering to give £1,200 worth of free security equipment. They arrange a visit to do a free demonstration of the

NEWBURY AREA FORUM MINUTES 22.01.2008

security system implying that they were doing this in conjunction with the Police and the Fire Service. This was not the case.

2.http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2009/94-09

More misleading

3. Misleading

Beware of a company called Direct Response Home Security. A man rang up a Fenny Compton resident and made his opening sales pitch, catching her off guard and offering to send a security consultant to advise about what they could do for her. He was very insistent and finally made an appointment for 11am for a man called Barry.

Barry arrived on time, was clean and presentable, but not smart. He then applied the hard sell, maintaining that his company’s alarm systems are the only ones in the country to which the Police will respond (false) and that they won’t come out for any others or even for neighbour’s telephone calls. This raised the ladys suspicions..........They appear to be preying on the vulnerable

http://www.stockton-warks-pc.gov.uk/stockton-2813.cfm

4. more misleading

http://www.inloughborough.com/news/096802/Burglar%20alarm%20sales%20company%20gives%20undertakings%20to%20the%20OFT

These are all council or OFT websites. Not the beep and as far as i can tell not looking for sensational headlines.

My own thought is that if the Office of fair trading are regually investigating this firm. The OFT etc also seem to deem it necessary to obtain guarantees that this practice will cease. That they also think there is something wrong here too.

Ill say again i wonder why this has been allowed to continue since 2005? How many times can you be investigated, then promise not to do it again, before anything happens?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

lol

And how many prosecutions have they faced?

I dont know. I assume them making these voluntary undertakings are to save that.

But are you suggesting that because they havnt been prosecuted they have obviously done nothing wrong?

hey its Arf that has the rusty sherif's badge, so that must make you he deputy when it comes to cleaning bodge city ?

lol, no ta

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I dont know. I assume them making these voluntary undertakings are to save that.

But are you suggesting that because they havnt been prosecuted they have obviously done nothing wrong?

If there was banged to rights evidence of wrong doing then why have they not been prosecuted?

They are not the only ones who sail close to the wind are they?

Guest RJBsec

If there was banged to rights evidence of wrong doing then why have they not been prosecuted?

Could be a variety of reasons - fear, incompetence, finance, etc.

For me the question is, why have they had to give so many 'undertakings', would it be necessary if they were doing nothing wrong?

They are not the only ones who sail close to the wind are they?

Maybe that's why the main bone of contention for many here is with the inspectorates.

Guest RJBsec

Anyone else entered into a 'voluntary undertaking' or 'home authority agreement' with Trading Standards ... have to admit that I've never been involved in any form of agreement with Trading Standards ... what are they?

Mirror Report:-

Burglar alarm company Direct Response Security Systems has promised watchdogs that it will not mislead customers.

The Office of Fair Trading and Leicestershire County Council Trading Standards, have secured undertakings from the Sutton Coldfield-based company and its directors David Price, Ranjit Singh Dhillon and Lee Hosking.

The action followed complaints from customers that when offered a "free" alarm system on a limited basis, they were not told of monitoring fees of up to £3,000 over five years.

Now Direct Response and its bosses have given undertakings that they will not:

*describe products as free of charge, or in similar terms, during pre-contractual negotiations with consumers, without disclosing any ongoing fees;

*falsely state that there are only a limited number of free alarm systems available or that the product or offer is a one-off;

*give the impression that the system generates a guaranteed direct or rapid response from the police or other emergency services;[*]

*deceive consumers in relation to the prices normally charged by the company for the product, and installation costs.

Mike Haley, OFT Director of Consumer Protection said: "We are pleased to have worked closely with Leicestershire County Council Trading Standards to obtain undertakings particularly as this case involved consumers receiving potentially false information as they made crucial and sensitive decisions on the security of their homes. It is important that businesses provide upfront and accurate information when selling products and services."

[*] Still doing this on their website currently!

im assuming there would be a technical visit to do the design after it was sold?

and arfur UKAS inspects the inspectorates.

and who inspects UKAS?

and how would i complain to them as a non reg company about registered companies behaviour?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Not a crime maybe .... but a very bad trading history

Hang on a moment.

Tens of thousands of customer?

As seen on TV?

Close working relationship with Trading standards?

Special relationship with both alarm industry Inspectorates?

A more thourough inspection regime than other alarm companies?

I think i want one

Customers!

Archived