Security Installer Community

Engineer code regulations

On 03/03/2020 at 20:54, tinnitus said:

Hi guys,

can you help settle an argument? Is it an nsi gold requirement that the engineer code be changed when an employee (engineer) leaves the company? Or is it just good practice? Also, should it be changed annually?

thanks in advance. 

I dont see the point to a certain extent,when most panels, with a competent engineer can default,change engineer codes if wanted to take over, so even if companys hide or constantly change codes, seems a big loss of hours

It depends if you have a procedure of locking panels, there is no loss of hours it's systemic as you to maintenance. It just means you have more codes for your engineers to remember which inherently means they are often written down somewhere.

Unique codes or POTD is a better option, could be accessible via company login as I outlined above.

If all of your customers have the same code and that is shared via some Facebook group or whatever, how can you say that any of your systems haven't been messed with between visits. The only reason it's any less of an exploit is you have to be onsite at the keypad to program most panels at the moment, if this was online security you'd have lost control of your whole estate in 10 minutes.

If the system is a Pyronix, setup for UDL and UDL enabled in the user menu(default is enabled) an ex engineer can login anytime he likes via the cloud and play around with the settings without any alert being created ? I have no idea if each insite download is registered to a user but hopefully it is. 

54 minutes ago, Amps said:

If the system is a Pyronix, setup for UDL and UDL enabled in the user menu(default is enabled) an ex engineer can login anytime he likes via the cloud and play around with the settings without any alert being created ? I have no idea if each insite download is registered to a user but hopefully it is. 

So doesn't have to go into engineer mode to send new engineer code?

2 hours ago, Amps said:

Nope. Only thing in the log would be PC Dailed which could also mean then app. 

So then no big problem then , what's issue? DIY panel anyway lol

Edited by al-yeti