Security Installer Community

Hello And Can I Have Your Thoughts Please.

Dannyk

I welcome the debate with you. Every part of you job is easier and cheaper.  But i'm referring to say police or call centre responce systems. Plus have a company in place 24/7 for problems. Not a tight **** who just wants cheapest alarm he can. As i get older i don't think i could be a electrician in my 50's. Alot of electricians do move over to your side and don't come back. They all told me it has it's ups and downs, but it's a lot easier life.

Im also a qualified spark just so you know im not making assumptions here.

99% want the cheapest, from the bedsit to the millionare.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Im also a qualified spark just so you know im not making assumptions here.

99% want the cheapest, from the bedsit to the millionare.

Did you ever run a VAT registered electrical company? Do you run a Vat Registered Security company now? Just so i can hear if you had experience at both.

No one has told me yet why all Pro alarm companies are using risc group for domestic alarm and honeywell galaxy 2 for commercial? lol

I've never seen a texecom fitted in a house unless fitted by a electrician. Can someone please highlight the reason even if it's not what you use.

No one has told me yet why all Pro alarm companies are using risc group for domestic alarm and honeywell galaxy 2 for commercial? lol

I've never seen a texecom fitted in a house unless fitted by a electrician. Can someone please highlight the reason even if it's not what you use.

They aren't it's just what your local security companies are using. Premier and Galaxy are probably the two most popular panels.

As for your arguments towards becoming a security company, it's no laughing matter. There are lots on here that are unhappy with the way the industry is heading, most customers want stuff for buttons. Companies here are having to branch into other things.

Security regs are equally as complicated and get there goal posts get moved every few years.

The industry has lost most of the domestic market due to DIY/consumer tech/handyman fitting systems for buttons. Potential customers want "an alarm" or " a CCTV system", they don't consider the difference in quality of a professionally fitted system.

I would argue we suffer a lot more heavily from "one man bands", approved companies work to a standard and pay to be audited. This allows anyone to easily undercut you on systems by ignoring the standards. (I must also point out there are non-approved companies that are professional and there are approved companies that install poorly).

Yes, I agree you have your reoccurring maintenance, if you have a good estate, which keeps most companies afloat.

Do you not arrange to check electrical installations every 4 years anyway?

I am not trying to put you off, I wish you well. I am just pointing out it's not as easy over here as many seem to assume. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Yes. putting it in, keeping stock and not as dirty. When it come to using your head, they can be mentally taxing as each other.

Have to disagree about mentally taxing , electrical more Labour intensive , alarms if you knew what some these guys here do with linking systems together and so on you will soon think it's a bit more techinal than you think

Unless you stick to basic systems like me, and don't want the xtra headache

The electrical game looks rosy from the outside to others.

What's the VAT got to do with it?

The fire & security sector has its fair share of rogues and poor standards just like the electrical.

Why are you going back to collage when we have amendment to 7671?

I'm building up my fire alarm customers up over the past 2 years and has gone really well. I installed some and kept the service contracts ever since for 4 visits a year. One of them i test weekly. Where in the electrical Game do you get that? I have worked booked for the year in advance!!

I run a professional outfit and it's wasted on electrical work at times. For example what is the maximum i can charge for putting up a light really. To be a Approved NIC EIC contractor you dont have to be a professional operating business. But you want to be NSI WITH BAFE you need to be of a different level of business, which is where i want to be.

I think you make a mistake to use the fire sector as a yardstick for the security industry!

As for NSI and building up a business etc Id say you're 20 years too late.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.