Security Installer Community

Cooper Menvier 9651

The cable isn't your problem, it's not the correct cable for the job, but, providing it is all terminated and not snapped where you've screwed it in to the termination strips it will work.

From your initial post it seems you have open circuits on zones 1,2 & 3 and an open circuit on the global tamper.

Zones points to no 12v dc at the detectors, either you have a short somewhere, a broken wire, or you've crosed polarity. The 9651 (IIRC) has a thermal fuse so it shouldn't be that. Ideally you need a multimeter to start tracing your fault, if you dont have one check each detector individually, when they are correct the led will light in the detector, indicating power.

The tamper is most likely going to be either a tamper spring in a detector or a broken wire at termination, (cat 5 again), again a meter makes it easy to trace, but failing that wire each one in individually until the fault recurs, this will tell you which one has the open circuit.

You can buy a multimeter for less than £10 which will do what you need, and by the look of all that cat5, it may prove an invaluable investment in th future! :)

Mike

Edited by mikethecamera

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more..