Security Installer Community

Recommend A Decent Megapixel Camera

swift

Both James and I use our own machines, as James says the Alien kit is budget rebadged Hickvision, Top makes would be Dedicated Micros. Heitel, Bosch. Pelco, Some would say Samsung I would put them high end budget Ive probably missed loads of good brands but as I rarely buy a DVR I dont keep up to date with them

Both James and I use our own machines, as James says the Alien kit is budget rebadged Hickvision, Top makes would be Dedicated Micros. Heitel, Bosch. Pelco, Some would say Samsung I would put them high end budget Ive probably missed loads of good brands but as I rarely buy a DVR I dont keep up to date with them

When you say you use your own machines, I'm confused -  does this mean you make your own dvrs? 

I'll have a look at the dvr's mentioned and see if any reasonably priced.

The more I think about this on the megapixel camera side of things the more it simply doesn't make sense.

I've been trying to work out why a 2MP cctv camera cost so much!

If you look at digital cameras or camcorders, for instance, top of the range digital cameras can be had for around £200-£300 which have bigger sensors and more megapixels and can do full-hd recording and have all sorts electronic wizardry to boot.  An entry level canon dslr can be had for around £300-£400, which has an aps-c size sensor.

Something is very wrong in the cctv market, to me it looks like, the cctv market is trying to sell last decades technology at an inflated price!.

Having thought about this long and hard, I think for me for now, to just stick to analogue, get the best 700tvl type camera - I'd be grateful for any decent recommendations that are good value for money.  Its better to have a picture of outside than no picture at all.  The advantage that megapixel camera gives is simply a greater level detail and clarity.  This incremental advantage, for me, simply doesn't justify the inflated prices.  I'd rather save the money and spend on other areas of securtiy, such as, infra-red beams and sensors. 

On the analogue side go for something with a pixim seawolf chipset.

Regarding your other points a ccrv camera has to operate in conditions, lighting level, permanently etc which the other units you mention do not. Costs are coming down but all ip kit also are mini servers so need a lot more power etc. There was someone on here a bit ago trying to use old phones as WiFi cameras. Don't know how they got on.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Your not listening to two very good people are you.

And yes they have their own machines made for them. Own licences. Pay a lot of money for them and resell.

I have worked on them and have no qualms in saying they are better than you can imagine.

Your choice of cameras is not too good for your expetations, as has been said to you on occasion now.

The way you say "inflated" prices is amusing. They are THE PRICES for MP Cams. Decent ones. James has a habit of using the car story, it is a good one.

You should really listen to people who do, as myself, for a living this type of thing.

We have recently tried to advise someone on not going down a certain avenue and they have made a serious error. Much like you`re going to make.

I have just had a conversation about adding to one of the most richest company CEO`s standing security, and came to the same conclusion as another expert on how we can add extra without making more work than needed. We do thos for a living.

And you are questioning us,

Typical.

I would add more but the others have given you the best advise going,

I have only mentioned what some think, that some are afraid of doing.

That is all.

Your not listening to two very good people are you.

And yes they have their own machines made for them. Own licences. Pay a lot of money for them and resell.

I have worked on them and have no qualms in saying they are better than you can imagine.

Your choice of cameras is not too good for your expetations, as has been said to you on occasion now.

The way you say "inflated" prices is amusing. They are THE PRICES for MP Cams. Decent ones. James has a habit of using the car story, it is a good one.

You should really listen to people who do, as myself, for a living this type of thing.

We have recently tried to advise someone on not going down a certain avenue and they have made a serious error. Much like you`re going to make.

I have just had a conversation about adding to one of the most richest company CEO`s standing security, and came to the same conclusion as another expert on how we can add extra without making more work than needed. We do thos for a living.

And you are questioning us,

Typical.

I would add more but the others have given you the best advise going,

I have only mentioned what some think, that some are afraid of doing.

That is all.

Please point out to me how I've not listened to the very good 2 people who have been kind enough to respond with recommendations and advice - unlike yourself, who has simply ridden in here on your high horse.  I suggest you respectfully dismount and actually read my posts.

I haven't questioned the guys personally or their recommendations, I was questioning the pricing given what I have seen of the same underlying technology in digital cameras and camcorders.  So what cardinal sin have I committed in doing so?

Surely, this is the point of forums, I have spent much time researching and have been left somewhat confused on what kit I should buy, so came here to ask for some advice.  The answers may seem obvious to you but not so to others.  You seem to think that everyone has to agree with you and that anyone that should dare to ask questions.  It may help others reading these posts who had the same questions but were too afraid to ask because of people like you.

Your post indicates that you provide security solutions for the very wealthy - do you think its a one size fits all?  We don't all have deep pockets and can only afford what are budget allows and need to find solutions.  I guess if your bread and butter is working with high end net worth individuals and business than you kind look down on us poor individuals who can't afford to spend $$$$ on kit.

Also your point, "They are THE PRICES for MP Cams", yes they are the prices now, what will they be in 1 year or 2 years time.  Price of technology only goes one way - down. Thus, it maybe more economical for me to go down the analogue route for now and switch to ip in a year or two.

Your post indicates that you provide security solutions for the very wealthy - do you think its a one size fits all?  We don't all have deep pockets and can only afford what are budget allows and need to find solutions.  I guess if your bread and butter is working with high end net worth individuals and business than you kind look down on us poor individuals who can't afford to spend $$$$ on kit.

Also your point, "They are THE PRICES for MP Cams", yes they are the prices now, what will they be in 1 year or 2 years time.  Price of technology only goes one way - down. Thus, it maybe more economical for me to go down the analogue route for now and switch to ip in a year or two.

This is not about wealth it's about quality and obviously the good kit that works best is going to cost alot more.

There are many people come here and complain about cost after being advised to do xyz.

The trade installers here are passionate about providing quality, fit for purpose advise please consider carefully.

Unfortunately the market is flooded with rubbish.

We wouldn't want to see you waste your money on the rubbish.

Firstly it looks like you are not willing/able to spend enough to get a decent IP setup.

Let break this down constructively...

What is the system for? Observation, Identification?

Only from here can we advise further IMO.

Example, if your looking to get a facial ID of a bloke from an analogue camera on the soffit board of a semi, you won't.

While on analogue don't be fooled by 700TVL many analogue DVR's can't record that anyway.

HD-SDi maybe a good option or analogue installed in Cat5 and baluns so the upgrade to IP is easier.

Why not one high quality IP camera and use built in local storage?

However is seems silly to buy cheap now and quality later.

It does go down.

But what you wanted you turned your nose up at when told the price,

I have no horse, so sorry to dissapoint.

I read your posts and understand what you require, but it is not in your price range obviously.

I also fit low end equipment, but high end low end so to speak. But yes I have also fitted equipment for billionaires.

So , NO I don`t look down on you, just your attitude. As you may do to mine. Such is life.

But we, sorry the others were trying to stop you  making an error.

I was just pointing out you were not listening to them.

And Six , just beat me to my reply.

Again he is saying what I was.

See the pattern forming from EVERYONE?

Archived