Security Installer Community

Recommend A Decent Megapixel Camera

swift

Hi guys,

Looking to get a decent cctv system for the house.  Have a budget up to £2k.

The front  is 17x20metres long and 700tvl cameras don't seem to offer very good quality.

Not sure whether to go down hd-sdi or ip route.

Can anyone recommend a decent megapixel camera prob up to 2MP/1080p should be sufficient at least for the front driveway (17m by 20m).  Could be a selection of different cameras.

Looking at an 8 camera dvr/hvr.

Looking to cover front driveway, front door, side and rear garden.

Prob looing to have 2-3 cameras at front, 1 at side and 2 at the rear.

Prob rear and side and perhaps front door could be lower resolution cameras and camera covering driveway area high resolution camera.

Looking a for a good spec dvr have currently be looking at the alien hybrid as a possible contender, are there any others I should be looking at.  Looking at good all round features and future proofing as much as possible.

Main way I'd be using it, is the dvr would be hooked upto several monitors around the house.  I have a external pir sensor that can turn on plugs which would turn on the monitors displaying the camera images from the dvr.

Does the alien (or other dvr) using either motion detection or alarm input then highlight the relevant camera or make the image bigger on screen? If the monitors are displaying 8 cameras in grid formation, I'd like to know on which camera the relevant alarm has been triggered.

Thank you for your help.

You can get decent analogue gear for your budget but you have no hope imo with megapixel. Camera wise we use axis and I rate them over most things I have tested

I was thinking what are you talking about James as I thought the budget was £2k for one camera which is about right. Then I re-read swifts post again. Swift unless you want to buy some unbranded toot then your budget is at least £5k short for mega pixel.

wow, I thought my budget was quite decent?

ok, so have been looking around, have come across avtech avn363, its retailing for around £280. It's a high spec camera, 1.3MP, 1/3" CMOS sensor, 56 IR LEDs, 4-9mm lens. Now comes the really cool stuff, face tracking - it will automatically detect faces and zoom in, has alarms so you hook up other sensors and relays.

This will be perfect as an overview for the front of the house.  I could then get some cheaper cameras around the £100-£200 mark to cover the other areas.

At the moment, I'm looking at getting 5-6 cameras, so 5 cameras @ say average price of £150 = £750 plus the avtech avn363 @ £280 = £1030.  This leaves plenty for a dvr/hvr and cables etc. 

What do you guys think?

swift if i may, just to swap it around a bit.

Swift im looking for a car. I dont like a fiat punto cos ive been out in one and its not great on actual performance. I need a car that gets me from where i want to be to where i want go reliably and with speed. 

Now ive looked into specifications of cars and what i need is at least 450 bhp, but its not just one im after. I need 5 of them.

Ive found on ebay a site offering 450bhp (insert ***** car name here) for a 10th of the (insert decent name here)

Is the proper car worth the money......

Yes with an F in front.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

don't know what you have against fiat punto, pretty good reliable cars, good with fuel economy too. Now if you want to spend silly money and buy something like a tvr - which costs 10 times as much, will probably get you there quicker - providing cops don't stop you and more importantly, the damn tvr doesn't catch fire (my friend owns one and it happened to him).  I think the guy driving the fiat punto would be having the last laugh....

I'm guessing you want me to spend silly money on a camera?

so in your view can you tell me what you think is a reasonable camera for a residential property?

No i dont want you to waste your money on toot products. That you wioll have to throw away and buy properly next time

so in your view can you tell me what you think is a reasonable camera for a residential property?

I can only guess as i havnt seen it but i use on my own

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_p3346ve/

http://www.iqeye.com/iqeye/images/uploads/File/datasheets/Alliance-pro.pdf

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

don't know what you have against fiat punto, pretty good reliable cars, good with fuel economy too. Now if you want to spend silly money and buy something like a tvr - which costs 10 times as much, will probably get you there quicker - providing cops don't stop you and more importantly, the damn tvr doesn't catch fire (my friend owns one and it happened to him).  I think the guy driving the fiat punto would be having the last laugh....

I think what James was trying to say is sometimes things look good on paper  Cars are not really a good anology nowadays now that there is no BL and Skoda is owned by VW, but a cheap high spec product is often a poor purchase when compared to an expensive low spec product.You are trying to get the best value for your money, its something we all try to do,

I personally have an expensive (Compared to the toot available on the internet) analogue system on my home property, and my business (Though there is one Mobotix 2mp camera on the office as well) and so far mine has successfully identified vandals, captured my neighbors visitors hitting my car  with theirs (two different neighbors) and a van knocking my mirror off my car when it was parked outside my offices. Every one of those incidents I would of had to pay for the damage myself if it had not been for the CCTV and decent recordings

No i dont want you to waste your money on toot products. That you wioll have to throw away and buy properly next time

I can only guess as i havnt seen it but i use on my own

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_p3346ve/

http://www.iqeye.com/iqeye/images/uploads/File/datasheets/Alliance-pro.pdf

I've had a look at the above cameras, the axis is a 3MP camera at an eye watering cost of around £900.  The iqeye seems to be in the more digestible range of sub-£500.

I guess you guys are professional cctv installers for large commercial businesses, so naturally favour expensive bits of kit and with it comes the territory of turning your noses up at anything at the cheaper end of the scale.

Naturally you would install expensive kit at your own home as this is your area of work.  Its a bit like jeremy clarkson, he wouldn't be caught dead driving a ford mondeo or the vauxhall insignia, even though they are both good cars.

I obviously wish to avoid the really cheap stuff, I simply wish to buy a reasonably priced camera and dvr that will suit my needs. 

I am pretty much leaning towards buy one expensive camera that will probably be the work horse - provide the main view of the front of the house then perhaps buy standard 700tvl type cameras to cover other areas.

What dvr's do you guys use? is the alien ultra/hybrid a decent dvr?

Archived