Security Installer Community

Recommend A Decent Megapixel Camera

swift

We have fitted a couple of the Axis 3mp external vandal domes, I can't remember the model number off the top of my head.

Found them very good but be warned if you run them at full resolution at say 12 FPS you will need a lot of HDD space and a lot of bandwidth on your network.

Don't forget you will also need a POE switch or an POE injector.

@ Swift - the key point was mentioned a few posts back.

Most if not all of the guys here have seen plenty of the chea, rubbish gear before to be able to say with conviction that cheap is cheap and quality is more cost. I'm a bit ashamed to say that our industry is flooded on ebay and similar with lots and lots of cameras that look good in terms of spec but do not deliver / perform / last.

Things like the build quality become very important very quickly when located outside.  That fake rating will soon become apparent.

The message that everyone before me has given and that I will echo now is "spend your cash wisely".  The only reason anyone above posted was to try and save you from wasting that money on stuff that you will have to replace / throw away as we have all genuinely seen it far too many times.

We all want to see you achieve your goals as effectively as possible - would you maybe consider uploading a plan of the property so we can help advise on how many cameras and where to locate them (if people want to!).  This might help you more than specifying camera brands at the moment.

Remember at all times - "what is the aim of the system?" "What do I want to achieve with the system?"  Keep those questions at the heart of what you do and you should be OK.

btn_myprofile_160x33.png

Your post indicates that you provide security solutions for the very wealthy - do you think its a one size fits all?  We don't all have deep pockets and can only afford what are budget allows and need to find solutions.  I guess if your bread and butter is working with high end net worth individuals and business than you kind look down on us poor individuals who can't afford to spend $$$$ on kit.

Also your point, "They are THE PRICES for MP Cams", yes they are the prices now, what will they be in 1 year or 2 years time.  Price of technology only goes one way - down. Thus, it maybe more economical for me to go down the analogue route for now and switch to ip in a year or two.

Hi

If i may add here.

I'm the other fella oxo was referring to regarding a problem at a certain 'posh house'.

You're right in some respects, money may not be a problem, and in this instance, it isn't. Cost is secondary to getting the right solution. Various fancy technologies were considered but whichever one i went for, problems became apparent. In the end i reckoned the best solution was the most basic and least cost - parts wise, probably << £30.

The tricky bit is getting right, so i decided to check with oxo if i was on the right lines because he has some knowledge in the kit we are working on. Guess what? same option - the cheap and cheerful solution.

Now, the customer is a bit of a Apple fan. When we had to choose some kit for him earlier this year, i just knew the basic stuff wouldn't cut it with him style wise. So, we presented a couple of options to him that were 'top end' price wise. Sure enough, he went for the one that floated his boat style wise. It cost way more than the standard stuff even though it does pretty much the same job. So, why does it cost so much more???

Because it does. That's what the manufacturers charge, that's what it costs. They have to recover their investment, hence prices drop over time.

So yes, we can play with the big boys expensive toys, but ultimately we use what we consider to be best for the job. If that's cheap as chips, so be it. If it needs 300 + IP cameras at £800 a pop, then that's what it needs.

Debating the morals regarding the price of technology is not really going to achieve much in this forum a we have no power to affect it.

Thanks mate for the above, but not needed as the real professionals here know the score.

Someone coming in and shouting about items they have no idea about is quite funny really.

But as you say we use quality, and some "Cheap" items to get the job done, But the quality is for the important stuff, the cheaper stuff is an addition to do further with the "kit" fitted above and beyond the first remit. And to do it correctly.

The lesson here is to use quality and design first.

We are now using quality and reworking it, above the remit and design of the makers.

Not many can do that.

Cubit and myself can.

And  as mentioned 

Because it does. That's what the manufacturers charge, that's what it costs. They have to recover their investment, hence prices drop over time.

Cannot say more than the above.

Apart from, respect to Cubit.

@Cubit, @Joe, @Six  - I hear you guys loud and clear and agree with you.  I'm not about to buy the cheapest megapixel camera off ebay.  I hardly buy anything off ebay, only when I can't find stuff elsewhere.  Plus like I said in my original post, I have a budget of around £2k for the cctv side of things.  If I was going to do things on the cheap, I would have just bought a £500 kit.

If we can get back on track to some camera recommendations based on your expertise so I can buy some kit in the next few days.

@Joe - not sure how I go about uploading a plan - but as a rough guide, its a typical 4 bed detached (2 storey), conservatory round back (so L shape), there is 1 side access to the rear garden and is where the kitchen door is.  The front area is about 3 car lengths by 3 car lengths. The rear garden is about half that size.

I've found an image that sort of looks like my house, the main difference is we have converted the garage into an office and there is a bedroom above the garage/office.  The side access is by the garage/office. Our front part the door/office sticks out from the lounge.

My main purpose for the cameras is to be able to identify who is on the property i.e. is that someone running up the drive with a balaclava on their head and a gun.  (Perhaps identify isn't the right word to use as I understand it means to actually identify someone in cctv parlance.  In my case just being to figure out if the person is a friend or foe.)

Are the cameras with IR any good, do they actually emit enough light for the camera to see anything beyond a few metres?

I'm leaning towards cameras with good low light.  The council have replaced street lighting in our road with these super bright white lights which actually throw quite a bit of light onto our property and we have a lamppost right opposite our house.  I'm thinking a good  low light camera should do the job nicely? prob with IR as a backup.

@Six - I'm very much thinking one high quality IP camera to place on the front which gives a good overview of the front of the house, then smaller resolution cameras for overlooking the front door, and perhaps somewhere in between for the side and rear.  I'm very much thinking of using cat5 cabling to allow for easier upgrades later.

@James - re: the Pixim seawolf chipset - I've done some reading on this - while they have very good WDR - think they are very good in situations  where you have very bright and dark light together, however, apparently they are not so good in low light - have a lot more noise than the sony effio counterparts?

To perhaps keep everyone happy, if  we can start with what you consider to be base level of analogue and 1-2 megapixel camera you would recommend for a domestic property and then step up from there, so that then gives me a choice.  If you know the price and could given an indication that would be helpful.

The camera that was recommended before was an Axis 3MP, which is perhaps a bit overkill for my needs.  From what I can see there are plenty of 1-2MP cameras - 2MP is full-hd so more than adequate.  

I do see this as ongoing hobby of sorts updating kit and adding new bits of kit in the months and years to come.

Many thanks for your help.

post-44078-0-53977800-1356627331.jpg

My main purpose for the cameras is to be able to identify who is on the property i.e. is that someone running up the drive with a balaclava on their head and a gun

Looking at the attached image of the house, I think your wasting your time with detection on an open space which is little bigger than six strides.

eg. There's nothing to stop next doors children running across the garden & I'm thinking along the lines is the hooded yob going to stuff takeaway leaflets though the door or give a good slap for your valuebels?

You'd be better off with an intercom IMHO

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

James - re: the Pixim seawolf chipset - I've done some reading on this - while they have very good WDR - think they are very good in situations  where you have very bright and dark light together, however, apparently they are not so good in low light - have a lot more noise than the sony effio counterparts?

Not in the tests I have done. But i only tested on a d1 dvr not 960h.

but wdr is essential in cctv imo you cant control the light level in the day / dusk etc

http://www.pixim.com/images/side-by-side-images

but there are various versions of the effio chipset i have only played with an effio-e. I was thinking of using the effio-p but once i tested the pixim i gave up on the sony.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Looking at the attached image of the house, I think your wasting your time with detection on an open space which is little bigger than six strides.

eg. There's nothing to stop next doors children running across the garden & I'm thinking along the lines is the hooded yob going to stuff takeaway leaflets though the door or give a good slap for your valuebels?

You'd be better off with an intercom IMHO

MrHappy, thats not an actual picture of my house but one that looks similar i.e. the shape of the house and the way the porch is offset from the the lounge.

The front area is around 20m by 20m or just over 3 car lengths. The boundary to the right has conifers going all the way down.  The boundary to the left is part panel fencing and part neighbours property which is staggered.  So we are covered on both sides.  The only part that is open is the front, which I'm looking to get a brick wall or fencing put in place as the weather improves and I've got the cctv part out the way.

We don't have any problems with kids running across garden - except our own - the only problem we have in this regard is cats! damn cats! any ideas on how to keep cats away would be most welcome.  was thinking of getting that pir water squirter which would be good to watch - but it would prob get the postman too.

How to keep out cats?

My method is carpet gripper at 5cm below the top of the fence all around the garden (internally, obviously or you contravine the legalities of height and warning notices). If challanged it is a gripper for the plants to use.  Now It will not keep the cat out, but it will give it a "right royal scraping " on the way out and so far been sucessful. After the usual attempts of water, Lion dung and every other method on the internet the only one that has worked so far.

Why anyone wants to keep a wild un domesticated animal is beyond me.

Archived