Security Installer Community

Texecom Smoke Detectors - Pretty Awful

Hi guys,

I've got a Texecom Premier Elite system and want to also use it as a fire alarm, so I bought a Texecom Exodus OH (Optical & Heat Multisensor).

Having tested them with some small (but pretty ferocious) fires in metal bins (detector right above), I can't rate them as anything other than awful. So awful that a £4 Kidde detector went off a good 30-90 seconds before the Texecom detector, and it was 6+ feet further away than the Texecom! The cheap retail sensor was activated pretty much immediately and with very little smoke, whereas the Texecom needed the fire to be well-established. It pretty much ignored anything other than a TON of smoke.

The Exodus OH is described by Texecom as being an "optical and heat multisensor detects smouldering fires and fast flaming fires", so I presumed it would be a good all-round detector... but I wouldn't feel comfortable going to sleep and letting the Exodus OH protect me.

Am I missing something here? Are there other alarm-compatible detectors that wouldn't let the house burn down before notifying anyone?

Thanks in advance

One of my pet hates is over-sensitive fire detectors, the last thing i would want is a smoke detector tripping instantly.

A multi sensor may need to see both sensors activated as such, having said that, never had a problem smoke testing them with a smoke tester.

House fires will have more smoke than a ferocious bin fire as its not likely to have that much smoke.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Hi guys,

I've got a Texecom Premier Elite system and want to also use it as a fire alarm, so I bought a Texecom Exodus OH (Optical & Heat Multisensor).

Having tested them with some small (but pretty ferocious) fires in metal bins (detector right above), I can't rate them as anything other than awful. So awful that a £4 Kidde detector went off a good 30-90 seconds before the Texecom detector, and it was 6+ feet further away than the Texecom! The cheap retail sensor was activated pretty much immediately and with very little smoke, whereas the Texecom needed the fire to be well-established. It pretty much ignored anything other than a TON of smoke.

The Exodus OH is described by Texecom as being an "optical and heat multisensor detects smouldering fires and fast flaming fires", so I presumed it would be a good all-round detector... but I wouldn't feel comfortable going to sleep and letting the Exodus OH protect me.

Am I missing something here? Are there other alarm-compatible detectors that wouldn't let the house burn down before notifying anyone?

Yes.

Multisensors are designed to reduce false alarms, Cheap smoke alarms are designed to go off with any particulates ASAP.

I am also guessing your tests were outside which will also make multisensors/optical sensor not work correctly/efficiently.

Yes.

Multisensors are designed to reduce false alarms, Cheap smoke alarms are designed to go off with any particulates ASAP.

I am also guessing your tests were outside which will also make multisensors/optical sensor not work correctly/efficiently.

It was in a garage, so still enclosed - the detector was pelted with smoke for quite a while before it reacted. Can you recommend any that would react quicker, and are compatible with a 12v alarm?

that sounds a bright idea....

I was testing it ;) Not really any safer way of testing a real-world scenario (OK, I know you can buy fake smoke, but that doesn't feel like a real test to me).

(OK, I know you can buy fake smoke, but that doesn't feel like a real test to me).

But good enough for the manufacturers and the thousands of fire service companies across the globe that maintain them? I'd rather use the tinned stuff than risk actually setting my house on fire!

In a domestic scenario, I would always go mains interlinks. Aico are a good, reliable brand. They even make one with a relay output so you can interface with your alarm. If you still want intruder smokes, the Apollo S65 range is compatible with most intruder alarms if you use their relay base.

Trade Member

It was in a garage,

in an environment with exhaust fumes or dust eg- a garage where the owner is prepared to light fires in bins.....

I'd place a multi sensor type product to overcome false alarms

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

It was in a garage, so still enclosed - the detector was pelted with smoke for quite a while before it reacted. Can you recommend any that would react quicker, and are compatible with a 12v alarm?

Enclosed? Garage door shut?

I am sure Texecom have done more testing than putting stuff in a metal bin in a garage.

Never had any complains with the Texecom ones.

If your not happy with the Texecom, Menvier do one, M12.

Archived