Security Installer Community

Texecom Smoke Detectors - Pretty Awful

we use the texecom smokes, and the appollo ones as well, both good units, test up ok using my approved testifire kit,

setting a bin on fire and hoping they would go off!!!!!!!

what the hell are you playing at!!!

also statistics point out that persons within a domestic fire have an average of 2 minutes to get out or suffer serious smoke inhalation and which can and is fatal, so you testing a smoke detector in a garage with a flaming bin is a tad bit daft!!!

approved testing method eh, yeh right (not)

as pointed out above, the texecom ones are and approved device, thats good enough for me!!!

Oasis

setting a bin on fire and hoping they would go off!!!!!!!

what the hell are you playing at!!!

I'm "playing at" trying to make sure the devices I'm entrusting my life to will actually work. Bin fires are a realistic way a fire could start.

as pointed out above, the texecom ones are and approved device, thats good enough for me!!!

I came here asking for advice on more sensitive detectors - I don't want an argument. The fact is that the Exodus OH detector required the bin fire to be fully established before doing anything - the cheap detector on the other hand raised the alarm immediately. That might be good enough for you, but it's not for me.

Would the M12 match the sensitivity of the cheap detector?

I think you will find they are NOT AWFUL, and what you have stated is YOUR opinion. If they were they would not have a kite mark, and have been certified and tested by BSI.

I can only comment on my experience. The cheap detector beat the Exodus OH by a significant margin. If I was asleep, and the Exodus OH was protecting me, I'd have a serious fire by the time the detector went off. That's obviously not desirable.

Personally I'd go for the aico mains range of detectors with the radio bases. You get relays, co, battery smoke, mains smoke heat combined and a battery hush/test/locate unit. Quite fantastic kit if you ask me. Also depending on how many internal sounders you have, a damn sight louder.

I'm "playing at" trying to make sure the devices I'm entrusting my life to will actually work. Bin fires are a realistic way a fire could start.

I came here asking for advice on more sensitive detectors - I don't want an argument. The fact is that the Exodus OH detector required the bin fire to be fully established before doing anything - the cheap detector on the other hand raised the alarm immediately. That might be good enough for you, but it's not for me.

Would the M12 match the sensitivity of the cheap detector?

Your not getting an argument, we are all in agreement it's really bonkers lighting a fire in your own home to "simulate" a fire.

My point is you with never simulate a real fire without doing in properly. Which I am certain all "approved" detectors will be tested properly.

I also pointed out that alarms to be connected to systems are designed to reduce false alarms.

If you want the most sensitive smoke alarm ever save the effort and call the fire brigade.

They will come and install the most hypersensitive/loudest stand alone battery unit on your landing and hall for free.

And when the battery gets flat they will replace it for you too.

Expect it to false alarm when you burn the toast or dust the landing.

M12 I would expect to similar to the Texecom unit. Tho never compared back to back.

We use them all the time, brilliant devices, never fail to work when tested with our SOLO kit.

Would never go back to Apollo & Relay bases due to the fact that you can remove the head without the panel knowing and also if the supply was removed the panel would still show closed.

We use Apollo for our 24V systems but the 12V base is flawed as above.

M12`s are good.

The Texecom are there as well.

As for your fire test and thinking.

I had to jump from a 2nd floor window with a fire, I got one person down the stairs and went back and got the other from the top floor, the 2nd. Where we both jumped. Smoke was almost to floor level.

No injuries, but 3 hours on oxygen and a night in hossie.

Back to your test. Were you in full mask as this happened?

All windows shut and as a night sleeping family may be. Doors closed.......................Ever seen the remains of someone opening a door with a fire behind it? Or the remains of people getting a lift to the ground floor, and when the doors opened the flashover from the fresh oxygen fueled the fire? And that was an old peoples home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fire brigade said when the doors opened they were hit with 1500 C + ( Locksmith, securing the area for evidence, so was there and told the gory details and unfortunatly saw the 5 bodies ) Also asssited the Fire and Police on other similar issues over 14 of my 30 odd yrs in this industry. Without the above, also assisted in finding/assisting in the recovery of 24 bodies.

Your not an expert, but are asking, and that is GOOD.

Get some quotes in,

See what they say.

I may be divorced but my ex and sons home are protected as with other family menbers with M12`s.

If I trust them with my sons...........................you work it out.

No contest for me.

Archived