Security Installer Community

Karizma + Fault

Roger99

HaHa!

I have three outside sounders at the front, side and rear of the house.

When I installed this system I fitted a concealed over-ride switch in the loft for occasions such as this.

There are also very loud internal sounders and again there is a hidden cutout switch.

So I flipped the switches before playing with the power.

This wouldn't be officially approved of course, but since it's my own system I can do what I like!

Thanks for all the other comments. I have a lot of reading to do.

One thing I won't be going for is a radio based system. As a radio engineer I'm concerned that 868 MHz systems my be blocked by the new 4G cellular radio that will right next to that frequency band.

Interesting

I have three outside sounders at the front, side and rear of the house.

When I installed this system I fitted a concealed over-ride switch in the loft for occasions such as this.

There are also very loud internal sounders and again there is a hidden cutout switch.

So I flipped the switches before playing with the power.

I wonder why your controls locked up ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

In answer to your questions ...

I have another independent 12v feed available, that runs security cameras.

I can switch this as an alternative feed up to the SAB modules from the alarm panel.

WTF

Are the negatives of the PSU's commoned?

Do you have enough current for all your equipment?

As james the only way to "disable" a SAB from sounding is remove its battery and H/O.

If that wire is cut via pulling the sounder off the wall no box. So you can no longer call it an SAB (if it is one in the first place)

Sounds like a mess to me and is probably causing your Karizma to crash.

<smile>

No, it's not a mess and has been working very satisfactorily since the Karizma was first fitted, with the cameras being added six years ago.

"Are the negatives of the PSU's commoned?"

Yes, commoned and earthed.

"Do you have enough current for all your equipment?"

Yes, the Karizma's internal supply feeds all the usual alarm accessories.

There is a separate 12v supply for eight cameras and some IR illuminators. They are connected to two HD recorders (mains powered).

"As james the only way to "disable" a SAB from sounding is remove its battery and H/O".

I did not want to do that for the obvious reasons. The three external sounders are entirely unmodified in any way.

Because they are very loud, I wanted a means of disabling them while testing/maintaining the system or if there was a fault condition.

To do this I arranged a rotary switch on the internal feed up to the sounders, which does two things: It provides an alternative 12v feed from the camera PSU, and it bypasses the alarm and tamper feeds from the alarm panel. So as far as the SABs are concerned they do not see any change in condition even if the alarm panel is entirely disconnected. And their charging/warning leds are still illuminated.

The two 12v supplies are isolated from each other because they are both fed via diodes.

"Sounds like a mess to me and is probably causing your Karizma to crash."

No, the Karizma crashed during a power cut. There had been other power cuts before and the Karizma recovered normally.

"Are the negatives of the PSU's commoned?"

Yes, commoned and earthed.

The two 12v supplies are isolated from each other because they are both fed via diodes.

Now I understand your "rotary switch method", it's a very "inventive" solution.

Commoned and earthed? Earth fault?

Yes, the Karizma's internal supply feeds all the usual alarm accessories.

So the Karizma sounds overloaded IMO.

There had been other power cuts before and the Karizma recovered normally.

This doesn't prove anything. It could have surged on the mains this time.

Archived