Security Installer Community

Use Staples?

Hi guys,

New to the forum, but thought I'd put some food for thought on here, we had our SSAIB inspection last year and got picked up on the fact that we didn't use staples. It wasn't a big issue and I think its personal preference.

As already said using staples increases the risk of damaging the cable and what we've gained in clipping the cables we lose in troubleshooting!

Some I guess applies to CAT5e, I did come across a company in the USA who made insulated staples for communication cabling, I'll see if I can dig out the information if anyone's interested?

Bizzare because in the early years NSI frowned upon their use

Welcome BTW

Could still do with a decent cat5 stapler though , it's rough trying to clip through a loft spaces lol

You all using clips? Or p clips? I used some cable ties with eyelets for bunches works ok, or is that a no no aswell?

be careful with staples!
we recently had an intermittent fault with an IP camera which had about 10m of its run stapled. we took a reflexomiter, and this is what the cable looked like! you can see where the staples were... (and where the installer had obviously ragged a kink through the wall)
sBmv2tj.jpg

and this is what the new cable run looked like, secured with clips!
AYSB7r2.jpg

Generally i'm a fan of staples, but they can cause problems down the line, even when everything looks fine!

Does the cable not need to be in containment below a certain height?

The only time I would use staples on a grade 3 / commercial site is if the cable is out of reach or out of view.

I have gone around site with an SSAIB inspector a few times, most of what he said was pretty much spot on but there were a few things he used to say that sounded more like company policy than it did regulation. Not that his point of view was a bad thing.

• 5 months later...

New here so I thought I would add my view.

I was always taught that staples can corrode and rust over time and then start to damage the cabling. For that reason I've hardly used them.

There is a time and place for everything though and my staple gun is still in my tool box