Security Installer Community

Ip Alarm Signalling

james.wilson

As to costs, one post here said ARC ramping them up, have you checked they won't get silly? Abd what about the tech training side as a "hidden" cost, seems ip I'd going to need more than an ability to use a neon IMHO.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Yes but there is a choice. We are upto speed on ip at engineering level due to cctv. Plus on most systems it just needs plugging in.

Again it won't suit everyone but redcare classic has a similar issue. If care isn't on the line its out of our hands. We will need some basic test gear but we will be giving out tablets soon. As these have ethernet ports in can write an application to do the basic tests.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

As to costs, one post here said ARC ramping them up, have you checked they won't get silly? Abd what about the tech training side as a "hidden" cost, seems ip I'd going to need more than an ability to use a neon IMHO.

Arfur

These sort of issues are no different to any other industry or technology.

Yes but there is a choice. We are upto speed on ip at engineering level due to cctv. Plus on most systems it just needs plugging in.

Again it won't suit everyone but redcare classic has a similar issue. If care isn't on the line its out of our hands. We will need some basic test gear but we will be giving out tablets soon. As these have ethernet ports in can write an application to do the basic tests.

I'm not sosure it's as cut and dried, Jim said about the issues of fault tracing, and earlier not to compare with CCTV.

From that I deduce it's not simply plug in and play :(.

We then have the snotty sandal wearing it geek sticking his precious oar in (the fight I had recently with over port forwarding and exposing his network to hacking).

ARC will catch on the revenue is dropping, so adjust accordingly IP costs to replenish profits. If that happens what will be the cost advantages?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

afaik ip is charged by the arcs higher then digis are etc.I see that in time that drop further not increase. The point today is that they are charging more than they do for digis. Maybe this is purly becasue they are loosing out on the revenue share of 0845, 0844 etc.

re plug and play. If the network os using dhcp and is not a corportate network with an isa server in the way for example then it is plug in and go.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 1 year later...

So ive been away from posting a while until quite recently. Some things never change whilst others race ahead to fast. Thankfully Arf seems to have departed and i sincerely hope its only from these pages.

I have recently revisited and gauged a cost of the managed IP system suppliers recently and although there has been some movement I stand on my comments made in this thread over a year ago.

IP is still the future for carrying my alarm traffic. The resounding problem that everyone has missed is the carrier. I’m not referring to managed systems or ISP.

Everyone has assumed that by IP I have been referring to purely wired systems, the droning about network managers and routers and internet security.

Well I commented and read and thought why cant people get it?

Im happy enough in my own little world using an unmanaged IP signalling system that dosent require a network point and is already widely accepted by our industry as the primary carrier of alarm signal traffic and its option C because I have a PSTN back up.

Jezzz!! I think some of you just caught on.

Im absolutely positive that in another year many will be trialling this OLD technology, not because its cutting edge or new. Just because its cheap

Customers!

I was under the impression you used ethernet via "powline" or whatever its called?

I was under the impression you used ethernet via "powline" or whatever its called?

Home plug! i asked our panel manufacturer to consider duilding this in to the panel. The idea was rejected.

Customers!

Archived