Security Installer Community

Ip Alarm Signalling

james.wilson

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you runnning the Gal software.

You would have to have each account running simultaneously for a start.

If its taking up to 25 mins its got to be their network.

Try a local connection on your laptop, that will tell you the panel and ethernet card are working.

Then once thats proven get the IT nugget to watch it with you.

After that he will then look at his own network a bit more closely.

Yes you would ping from the PC.

Have you double checked the internal IP`s? to what the IT bod has assigned?

id start a new topic mate about it.

find out how the unit is programmed and what port numbers its using. ie is it using tcp or udp comms, encryption enabled or not.

Good idea, but not tonight.

Need to get to bed as my head hurts trying to work things out at this time of night.

Thanks

Kev

How are you runnning the Gal software.

You would have to have each account running simultaneously for a start.

If its taking up to 25 mins its got to be their network.

Try a local connection on your laptop, that will tell you the panel and ethernet card are working.

Then once thats proven get the IT nugget to watch it with you.

After that he will then look at his own network a bit more closely.

Yes you would ping from the PC.

Have you double checked the internal IP`s? to what the IT bod has assigned?

Hi Oxo,

Will start a new tommorrow and try to get more info on network stuff.

Thanks for the help tonight

Kev

The UDL is a stumbling block as in my case it isn’t site initiated rather open to me all the time and this is unacceptable on a security application.

The cost of kit is always an issue but more to the point is the ARC levy. Besides the lost revenue from calls how can the ARC justify such a massive mark-up?

OK...I agree with the issue you have with UDL. However initiating the call from the panel is actually a "harp back" to the limitations of PSTN (yes, here's another)....cost of calls associated with UDL and the fact that dial in via a potential "back door" is a security hazard. In addition, you cannot guarantee that the modem related to the panel is first in line on the local circuit.

In IP based scenarios in-bound connections, encrypted and sequenced are possible and can be very secure. This goes back to investigating how the services work.

Slightly difficult subject on ARC costs. At the end of the day, they provide a service and if it is a dual path system they will be paying for the running costs of the radio service and the support from the Service provider. I'll also go back to the low cost issue. A new service that does provide advantages and potential cost savings should command a premium of some sort. Apple do this very well. If they simply dropped their trousers and offerred the service for little mark up then you are back to a simple cost arguement. ARCs will have to raise their game as far as services are concerned too.

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

OK...I agree with the issue you have with UDL. However initiating the call from the panel is actually a "harp back" to the limitations of PSTN (yes, here's another)....cost of calls associated with UDL and the fact that dial in via a potential "back door" is a security hazard. In addition, you cannot guarantee that the modem related to the panel is first in line on the local circuit.

In IP based scenarios in-bound connections, encrypted and sequenced are possible and can be very secure. This goes back to investigating how the services work.

Slightly difficult subject on ARC costs. At the end of the day, they provide a service and if it is a dual path system they will be paying for the running costs of the radio service and the support from the Service provider. I'll also go back to the low cost issue. A new service that does provide advantages and potential cost savings should command a premium of some sort. Apple do this very well. If they simply dropped their trousers and offerred the service for little mark up then you are back to a simple cost arguement. ARCs will have to raise their game as far as services are concerned too.

Our PSTN UDL service is site initiated and i have in the past used a line simulater to access SOME panels and the insecure methods used by MOST alarm co i am happy with the initialisation of our own. i would of course preffer a different data path.

In relation to the ARC and costs. It is our intention to make a saving by moving to IP while increaseing revenue. We have a number of IP receivers in our office and they are all pretty effective and we therefore thought the high cost was due to MANAGED service. It transpires its actualy down to ARC. The purchare price of the transmission Eqipment and the Data card in the qty we buy also is prohibative.

Customers!

id say you have a serious config error here.

The galaxy arc software is shocking though

Three are going down together, seems a common denominator needs to be tracked. upfront i don't know the kit but the network switch or DHCP server would be very high on my list suspicions so the 1st place i'd look

ask is it a managed switch, if so have the IP addresses used for the static IP cards been reserved?

network conflicts are often the cause of slow transmittions, could also be incorrect cabling to sockets. if the pairs are 'split' for instance, it can cause irratic behaviour so best tested with a proper network analyser (not a soppy light box).

i'd ask has that actually been done, as to date i've yet to see one 'in house' IT geek that has one (but i do x 3 :) ).

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Jim,

been brilliant inpout from you imho.

being a small guy, i'm looking more from the domestic and small comercail market client POV viability, as any other are i guess in here.

ones who as a rule we don't get to deal with the shopping centres and and banks etc, the bigger guys will have the comms and stratagies all sorted.

if this is going to make headway in the mass domestic market, i need to raise some of the points you make, just to get a deeper understanding of the thinking, you mihght get to see from the 'tools' side some of the thing we have to combat (so info and benifit both ways i hope).

you say earlier, no need for a UPS, can i challengre that? as no power = no router = no signals, thats no matter the size of site, don't thinkthe idea was a to damaging statement, as most engineers would not fit a system without some sort of mains backup.

many homes will have e BT WiFi only home hub, so no way is that suitable for IP alarms, unles a WiFi adapter comes out, and that will likely be costly as a generic add on if ever made.

OK, client agree's not a big complecated job or expense, if we all want IP signalling way to go, cheaper than other options long term (ARC cost aside).

so we go buy buy a shiny new belkin/D-Link whatever router. all these have a 4 port hub built in, very handy for our Cat5e cable to the panel. Also thy have screw on antenna/'s. so whats the issue with pushing these antenna's outside a metal or decent wall mounted plastic box (as i have done to extend DECt phone systems) for WiFi ?

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived