Security Installer Community

Ip Alarm Signalling

james.wilson

Agreed good post.

One thing

People generally don't turn off their routers either..and you can soon tell if they do. And advise accordingly.

Mines off every night, one of those power saver remotes.

But if someones takes the effort for all of the above I would have thought they would leave it on.

Now on my 4th router after 9 yrs so they can last !!

agreed, should be a 'sticky' in the relevant section imho,

very very illuminating post and my personal thanks for taking the time Jim, i was comparing with CCTv networking for set up, obviously won't need that sort of band width.

my concerns would be use in domestics, where the router is as often as not just simply stuck on the floor in amongst a rat's nest serving the house network and gaming consul. as much as you nail it down the spotty gaming geek son will come home from colledge ajnd whack in the latest billy beez gaming router.

to ease my fears, it needs a stratagy in place against that problem, perhaps a special secure 'front box' modem would solve it, bit like when the modem was supplied by Telewest, and you bought your own add on router for hanging off the back of it, these days they come with 4 ports on the back, a lockable tampered wall case simply for the router may also do the trick.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Lockable case, generally metal.

Average router in households now wireless.

Farady cage anyone?

Don`t get me wrong its a start just not viable with 99% of homes today.

Cut the thinner longish bit of the clip on the RJ45 plug, can't simply be unplugged anymore as you'll need a screwdriver to get it out

A friend told me that after having Emizon training :)

Hey Ho, Lets Go

The trick is to be able to tell you guys that this is what has happened. Your equipment should be supplied with a tamper shroud too.

Jim

Thx for that Jim.

Can i just add. We dont use the tamper proof shroud, we just snap off the release lug which means you need a very small screwdriver to remove the RJ plug from its socket.

Customers!

Lockable case, generally metal.

Average router in households now wireless.

Farady cage anyone?

Don`t get me wrong its a start just not viable with 99% of homes today.

Yep, the cage.

IF household were using IP for crucial functions, a decent router, nicely tucked away and then a Switch fitted somewhere conveniently for the spotty oik/other uses. They're cheap enough and needed connections wouldn't be touched.

Cut the thinner longish bit of the clip on the RJ45 plug, can't simply be unplugged anymore as you'll need a screwdriver to get it out

A friend told me that after having Emizon training :)

Yeah they said that when I connected one of the first of them.

Had to LAUGH, was a quick patch lead the other engineer had made up. I tugged it and it came off, rj stayed in though, so they were right.

I just love proving things can be defeated :P.

Archived