Security Installer Community

Ip Alarm Signalling

james.wilson

I would take a stab you are using Chrion?

No that would be a managed system.WIRED

The simple answer to the IP signaling market is to use IP GPRS as the primary carrier and PSTN as a back up. This way their is no mucking about with subs network and the system is permanantly conected to the ARC.

UDL is available by either path and it wont tax us simple alarm men in terms of cost or re-training

Customers!

No that would be a managed system.WIRED

The simple answer to the IP signaling market is to use IP GPRS as the primary carrier and PSTN as a back up. This way their is no mucking about with subs network and the system is permanantly conected to the ARC.

UDL is available by either path and it wont tax us simple alarm men in terms of cost or re-training

Is UDL reliable / practical over GPRS?

you can udl over gprs however id prefer to use IP as primary and GPRS as backup. I use both and havnt had any issues with my IP paths that are not client related. Its easy to test too. When we get tel line issues client phones BT be told all is normal etc. With IP You ask em if they can connect to google. When they cant they know its not 'my alarm'

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of interesting points here, some feed back from our experience:-

We've been signalling Extended format and UDL over GPRS (used as the primary path with PSTN backup) since around 2005/6 and we have in the region of 3000 sites in this format. In the main, connected to Galaxy panels connected to Galaxy Gold. It's a good solution and if your interested check out our website sometime as it's available to all. There's a list of our supported panels there to.

IP/GPRS is obviously our flagship service and again, you can carry out UDL if the IP circuit is down. Extended format is the norm.

We also have IP with PSTN back-up which has sometimes been used where there is no Radio present at all. Extended format is via both, but you can only carry out UDL on the IP side. Personally I think this is quite a neat solution, and you can run it in a "digi" type Grade 2 mode. What's more, you can signal Open & Close (and all your other alarm traffic) and carry out UDL without any call charges. IP purists wouldn't use the PSTN side.

Tri-path signalling IP/GPRS/PSTN. Jury is out for me, be interested if you guys think we should offer it. Downside is that it adds complexity to the solution, both IP & GPRS are monitored anyway, and very closely, so the PSTN side would be redundant most of the time, so much so I'd argue why bother. Its another interface to worry about. But...as I say..interested in what you think.

Training..over the past 10 years we have developed products that do not require the engineer to be IP literate at all. If there is a problem then there is our support team. Hand on heart, the main training area we get involved in is teaching guys how to programme panels to operate in Extended format mode and UDL not networking.

I'm sure Ronnie will be able to confirm that.

JC

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

I like the idea of triple path, ie IP/gprs/pstn. Covers all bases. Also means if i wanted to i could ignore a single path failure as id still have 2 paths running. Gives more options and flexibility ie poor signal areas etc.

I wouldnt want a pstn and IP failure to class as a confirmed line fail though as a tree through a pole etc would cause a policed FA

also on the udl over pstn. I can do that on the panel modems, can the ww1 module do the same. ie call back, panel dials or autoanswer etc?

Couple of interesting points here, some feed back from our experience:-

JC

Jim sorry but i missed your guy last week as i was away.

perhaps ive miss typed my preffered signaling.

To be clear! When i said GPRS what i actualy mean is using GPRS as the IP carrier if that makes sense?

maybe a better way to exsplain is to say give the signalling kit a fixed IP and talk to it over GPRS.

hope that makes more sense

Customers!

Jim sorry but i missed your guy last week as i was away.

perhaps ive miss typed my preffered signaling.

To be clear! When i said GPRS what i actualy mean is using GPRS as the IP carrier if that makes sense?

maybe a better way to exsplain is to say give the signalling kit a fixed IP and talk to it over GPRS.

hope that makes more sense

You would want a hell of a lot of protection if it was publically accessible and on a static IP.

Also not sure how the bigger companies with IT depts would be with this if connected to their network.

You would want a hell of a lot of protection if it was publically accessible and on a static IP.

Also not sure how the bigger companies with IT depts would be with this if connected to their network.

Im not exsplaining this correctly am i?

Whats it got to do with IT Dept.

My argument for IP on/over/via GPRS is that it involves ZERO input from the customers network

Customers!

Archived