Security Installer Community

Ip Alarm Signalling

james.wilson

Glad you guys found the post useful, and thanks for the kind replies. A bit more "subtle" info. Hope you find this intersting too.

Oxo is right that the router in the box is not viable in practice and this issue has been debated beyond belief. Some routers are powered down, but I also agree with Oxo that if the client has gone to the trouble to install a Security System on their broadband they will (and do) take their own steps to ensure that the cable is not easily removed. It's all about educating the client and if it does happen, being able to identify that the unit has been uplugged remotley. It can be done.

On the issue of cost, we must get away from comparing PSTN based signalling with IP. A good IP system is simple to install and far more flexable in respect of fault diagnostics and UDL capabilities. It should also provide SIA3 level signalling direct from the data bus. Adding PSTN as a third path to IP/GPRS actually increases the cost of the solution, makes it more complex to monitor and in practice does not provide much advantage in the level of protection. If the line is cut external to the building you've lost both anyway.

In Communications reliant based applications remote diagnostics and servicing is a key factor in saving time on site and travel expenses. Before we came into the Security market over 12 years ago we provided ISDN backup systems to Service Providers and Financial Services across the Globe. Being unable to remotley upgrade, service and maintain equipment meant sticking bodies on trains, planes etc. Not cost effective.

A reliance on inflexible PSTN based services with poor remote capabilites has led to a woeful lack of communications expertise in our industry (within manufacturing). This has to change. Going back to the para above, have a think about the biggest fixed outlay in your business. I expect it's vehicle depreciation and fuel costs alongside salary. Now consider how useful it would be to be able to have true communications support from a supplier, who could tell you what the issue is before you commit to travel. Clever application of remote service and diagnostics will make your business more profitable and this is what the Nationals are starting to deploy.

IP may not be quite ready for your lower end domestic, but certainly is in higher end Domestics and SMEs. My advice is to start investigating IP signalling, even if your not going to use it just yet. Compare the Services in the Market not just on price, but what they can offer your business and your client, and is your supplier investing in further developments and future proofing of their services. Don't forget to also take a close look at the reporting times of the systems available and most importantly, what Support you get.

On a final note, I was watching Sir Alan Sugar a week or so back. During one task, an Apprentince decided to drop the cost of the product in order to sell more. Sir Alan said something along the lines of "I've had many Sales people who have resorted to sell simply on price, none of them work for me anymore". Neither does the Apprentice candidate. The challenge for our Industry, is to drag ourselves away from the grudge purchase and the

"sell cheap" mentality. IP based services will give you that oppertunity.

Jim

Jim Carter

WebWayOne Ltd

www.webwayone.co.uk

Jim

That was another rallying post you made for IP.

I’m pleased to say that I am one of the converted although I do still have issues.

Ive been playing with home plugs in an attempt to find a mains borne connection to our comms inside the panel.

We have found most of our systems are on fixed rather than dynamic networks but its little hardship.

The UDL is a stumbling block as in my case it isn’t site initiated rather open to me all the time and this is unacceptable on a security application.

The cost of kit is always an issue but more to the point is the ARC levy. Besides the lost revenue from calls how can the ARC justify such a massive mark-up?

Customers!

not really but i beleve there are some training docs etc gonna be uploaded soon.

Thanks James.

I have to go to only one site so far that has 3 galaxy panels with network cards installed.

These signal via the customers network to security control which have a pc running galaxy software.

I keep getting called to site to say ALL 3 systems report comms4 fail (network fail).

I have had IT check the network points and they have reported all ok.

I don't believe for one moment that all 3 systems have the same fault on them.

So any info to help me sort out this problem will be welcome and also help me learn it, great.

Kev

How long have they been installed.

I had this on a faulty PCB and kept gettiing Comms 4 fails.

We checked the networks, cables, swapped ethernet cards.

Nothing worked. PCB change and it was sorted.

This was a G-520 BTW. A few Smart Rio PSU`s and 12 prox keypads.

What are you using as com fail, ping etc? Id assume you have something amiss there and or too low timeouts.

Each of the 3 systems get a panic alarm test every week by the staff on site.

This involves them pressing a panic button and then security confirming the signal has been recieved by them on the pc.

Sometimes this takes 25 minutes!

Each time the test fails the galaxy panel will report comms 4 fail. This is to say the comms failed on the network card.

Because this happens on all 3 systems i would assume its a problem on the network and not each alarm.

I reported this to their IT who came and checked each point (i was not on site at time of testing).

They say all ok.

What else can I do to give further proof its not an alarm issue?

Kev

How long have they been installed.

I had this on a faulty PCB and kept gettiing Comms 4 fails.

We checked the networks, cables, swapped ethernet cards.

Nothing worked. PCB change and it was sorted.

This was a G-520 BTW. A few Smart Rio PSU`s and 12 prox keypads.

We are sub contractor on this site,Installed 2010 and still on going (Large Hospital).

Panels are 520s if i remember right.

Archived