Security Installer Community

Control Panel "erotica"

Driller

I would find myself in that catagory. I wont buy into systems with panels i dont work on and as far as i was aware ADT also swerve this problem (sometimes unavoidable).

The answer is to swap out the kit to one we comprehensively understand but i thought thats what you did?

I have a very large premier in a box on the floor of the office as i type.

Well buying SMC was a strange idea then.

no, we swap some panels that i know i couldn't be sure all engineers would get there head around ie ATS, like the prosys they are not worth the time.

We also swap any panel that is over 10 miles from the office to a prem for UDL. (MONITORED ONLY).

You could ebay it, or send it to a loving home, address is on our website ;)

imho the daft thing about those pictures is it's actually far easier and a lot faster to be tidy, ad i'm not claiming to be anything special. it just needs an organised approach which soon becomes as hard as blinking.

given the worst of those pictured, to tidy up would take me about 30-40 minutes tops (and i'm a decrepit slow old git). if you said half that is time needed when doing the install and do a tidy job, there really is no excuse.

when i've ask guys having seen it done what's it ever save you? if you do make a mistake instead of heading off home early to the pub, you spend ages trying to trace it out through a rats nest, often getting the wrong wires in the process.

i've worked on service, if i open the panel or j/b to be presented with a half tidy wiring effort, i'm more forgiving for the mistake/s made, at least showing some care has tried his best even if he clot did not tighten the terminals to the sab properly, and it's chucking it down 3am in the morning unsure.gif.

if i have the same fault and have to deal with a right mess, you can bet i'd be after the guys blood the next morning bruce_h4h.gif.

Arfur.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I would find myself in that catagory. I wont buy into systems with panels i dont work on and as far as i was aware ADT also swerve this problem (sometimes unavoidable).

The answer is to swap out the kit to one we comprehensively understand but i thought thats what you did?

I have a very large premier in a box on the floor of the office as i type.

i've had 2 systems where large co using door step sales offered to swap out the alarm panel, using what has become a fairly normal for them 'cause uncertainty' pressure tactics,

the line go's on about 'intruders having more credibility of a systems effectiveness based on the household named bell cover', so innocent client having also been offered a 'favourable discount' as 'there engineers are in the area', instead of phoning for advice signs up, well a big household name Co would not lie - would they? rolleyes.gif

so engineer duly shows up and starts work - to find in a short time its an Ultimate iD system installed all wires concealed, fiddles about having never seen iD then realising he has to re cable almost completely, hits reverse gear having buggered up what was a working and perfectly good alarm system rolleyes.gif.

those clients found out the expensively hard way - perhaps big name firm salesmen do tell fibs.

Arfur

Well buying SMC was a strange idea then.

no, we swap some panels that i know i couldn't be sure all engineers would get there head around ie ATS, like the prosys they are not worth the time.

We also swap any panel that is over 10 miles from the office to a prem for UDL. (MONITORED ONLY).

You could ebay it, or send it to a loving home, address is on our website ;)

Sometimes unavoidable

OXO has nailed our possittion. We were 100% ademco unable to work properly on virtually anything else, everything UDL.

Quit the bells only market as its not worth the return (P/E ratio).

Why would i need an engineer who was good with everything. I want guys who are red hot with the kit they use.

IMO ADT are a very good company. If i was to ever be in charge of buisness security issues i would NEVER reduce my risk to a menial company i would choose ADT, Chubb etc every time.

Customers!

IMO ADT are a very good company. If i was to ever be in charge of buisness security issues i would NEVER reduce my risk to a menial company i would choose ADT, Chubb etc every time.

Okay, before you became involved in this industry you had the office of your electrical contracting buiness secured by who?, with what form of signalling ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

lol, ok.

One of our customers (takeover) wouldn't agree. It was a ***** system by way of initial / alpha.

Armed robbery, trigger pulled twice, gun jammed, PA pressed, no URN at ARC, customer sh!t their pants.

Contacted GMP, full level one URN's in place, alarm company say mistake during buy out caused ARC not to be updated.

Result = Alarm company being sued, and i get a new contract.

being as unbiased as possible,

the size of the bigger companies actually works against them in the quality stakes, they have to have an amount of staff to cover the vast amount of installs and servicing/breakdown needs, getting decent quality of engineers is very hard in the first place, and those who are good are expensive to employ.

so they get forced by economic concerns against contractual commitment, the 'fix' is often to use less capable cheaper 'battery changer' staff to cover installs and faults.

imho at a certain company size, it just becomes a 'round robin' of endemic ineffectiveness.

Arfur

lol, ok.

One of our customers (takeover) wouldn't agree. It was a ***** system by way of initial / alpha.

Armed robbery, trigger pulled twice, gun jammed, PA pressed, no URN at ARC, customer sh!t their pants.

Contacted GMP, full level one URN's in place, alarm company say mistake during buy out caused ARC not to be updated.

I would have sh!t me pants aswell!!

!

lol, ok.

All nationals are an easy target ref slating, I know there are a lot of dross within. But over-all I truly believe there is a place for the nationals and although they will always have customers chipped away in the grand scheme of things it's factored in and nearly negelible.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

out of interest, where do you buy your balaclavas?

All nationals are an easy target ref slating, I know there are a lot of dross within. But over-all I truly believe there is a place for the nationals and although they will always have customers chipped away in the grand scheme of things it's factored in and nearly negelible.

Agreed.

also alongside the dross, there are some exceptional engineers had the pleasure of working with. think sometimes they get down (maybe let go?) cos they see dross gets away with it. Yep, always be a market for them (nationals).

& that nearly negligible - is that your wages?

Archived