Security Installer Community

Engineer Lock Out

ispy

as above id replace it as well. You need to cover this in your charge, else how long will you work for cost.

And its the age old... 'there is always somebody cheaper' if the client is buying on price alone this time... they will next time. And there will be someone cheaper. Maybe you should lock em. You do know that your partly liable for that system even if not on contract, could you prove that the system wasnt reprogrammed before the break in to your insurance company, if you dont lock?

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

i think it is a good thing personally and i lock any panels i fit texecom veritas but in my terms and coditions it states i will unlock upon another company taking over the system for a chargable callout

A new panel would cost less.

Dave

After another wasted service visit on another installers system i have yet again been left out of pocket trying to alter programming on a domestic system with an old veritas 8. Why is that company's lock out the engineer code. This should be illegal in my eyes cos i never do it especially on a domestic system. After all the system belongs to the customer and both installers and the manufacturers should not have the right to make this situation possible because the only person that benefits is the //.B.W.F.// that fitted it. Customers should have the right to use whom ever they seem fit. :ranting::realmad:

and there's a bloody recession on!!

agree with above but.......flip side of the coin is have you not ever installed a system and not got paid? phrses like "sorry i've forgotten my chequebook?" comes to mind. of if tou get a cheque it subsequentially bounces.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

LOL, I saw this post and thought it's got to be a Gardtec but pmsl to find it wasn't, I didn't know you could even lock the code in on those pieces of junk, tell the customer they have a rubbish alarm system and either get the muppets who installed it back or get a decent panel, tell them as the best engineer in the village you can't shine sh1t

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

A new panel would cost less.

Dave

yeah but if its locked on the old panel then you can prove the pcb was changed cant you. and anyway i always put a tammper sticker on the panel lid so if the panel is changed then a new panel would not show up a tamper marking, and if the pcb only is changed then the void marks appear.

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

as above id replace it as well. You need to cover this in your charge, else how long will you work for cost.

And its the age old... 'there is always somebody cheaper' if the client is buying on price alone this time... they will next time. And there will be someone cheaper. Maybe you should lock em. You do know that your partly liable for that system even if not on contract, could you prove that the system wasnt reprogrammed before the break in to your insurance company, if you dont lock?

James

Could they prove that the system was/wasnt reprogrammed before the break in?

Eventually (imo) it would be down to your insurers or the manufacturers insurers v their insurers. If your being sued your the inocent party until proven otherwise, onus on them, and no chance if not on contract.

Fit panels with a decent log.

Dont know how youd get on with trading standards if you charge to unlock a panel.

probably is - I meant generically just to wind the argument along, but EVERY one knows homegards numbers

Yes your correct it was a homeguard, and No i don't know there code otherwise i would have sorted it, The problem was i took pity on an elderly lady whom just wanted a few minor programming changes and didn't have a lot of money to spend so she wasn't going to pay for new pcb as existing was fine.

ve hav ze nolij or if not we ask!!!!

Guest anguscanplay
Yes your correct it was a homeguard, and No i don't know there code otherwise i would have sorted it, The problem was i took pity on an elderly lady whom just wanted a few minor programming changes and didn't have a lot of money to spend so she wasn't going to pay for new pcb as existing was fine.

very noble, but now you`ve dropped the ball its upto you to put it right - change the print for free.

just had a thought - how have you left it? not defaulted surely

put it down to experiance

Archived