Security Installer Community

Door contacts or PIR's

Guest Chewie

Looking ok so far, You have tampered the contacts haven't you?

39426[/snapback]

No, there were no instruction with the contact, and nothing about wiring a tamper circuit for contacts in the control panel manual.

The contacts have 2 silver screws which are the switch, and 3 brass screws, I assumed these were to be used as a junction for wiring contacts in series.

So how do I wire them for tamper, surely if the cable was cut or tampered with the contact would go open circuit and trigger an alarm anyway.

This is the sort of insight I am after and what seems to be missing from the instructions.

Thanks.

if your heating controller is 240v then running the keypad cable close to it may cause you some problems. Accenta panels are notorious for locking up.

39433[/snapback]

Yes it is 240V.

I hope it does not cause problems as I really dont want to reroute the cable.

So how do I wire them for tamper, surely if the cable was cut or tampered with the contact would go open circuit and trigger an alarm anyway.

39456[/snapback]

Not in day mode it wouldn't. You should always wire a tamper pair in all devices, whether they have the specific terminals for them or not. To fit a tamper pair to a door contact you use two spare cores in the cable and connect both cores to one of the spare brass contacts. This way if the cable is cut the tamper will show on the system by whichever means it is programmed to alert you.

If there is no provision for the tamper pair at the device then you should still wire a tamper pair in the cable and terminate in a seperate connector so the cable to each and every device is tamper protected.

And I wouldn't run any low voltage wiring within 50-60mm of mains cabling due to induced interference from the mains side which an caue false alrms and other faults to appear on the alarm system. It's also a contravention of BS7671.

... nothing about wiring a tamper circuit for contacts in the control panel manual.

This is the sort of insight I am after and what seems to be missing from the instructions.

Thanks.

39456[/snapback]

My ADE Engineering manual had information on wiring up the tamper circuit including a schematic. Not a huge amount of detail, but enough to get me going. There was even a section headed "Tamper Network" as well as information in other sections. Have a careful look in case you missed something.

Thanks.

39456[/snapback]

Yes but if it was tampered causing a short circuit between the Circuit pair the door would remain closed to the control panel compromising you security.

When a tamper occurs in day mode (system unarmed) you get local notification i.e internal sounder only, when the system is set you would generate a full alarm.

The tamper could be caused by the tamper pair being cut or shorted to the alarm pair, it is much more secure.

I believe it is a global tamper on your control so all the tamper circuits returning to the control should be wired in series.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived