Security Installer Community

Door contacts or PIR's

Guest Chewie

I would'nt recommend any of those simply because i dont know them.

In my opinion (im not into alarms much these days, CCTV is my thing), avoid 360's and yes that huge rat will most likley cause you problems. :rolleyes:

If i had to suggest a manufactures kit, Optex for movement sensors maybe Texecom. The other guyz will advise you better on what sensors to use and which models.

Guest Peter James

I agree with Kipper.

The garage is usually a hostile place for standard pirs, I woud always recomend a dt in the garage.

Eng

Sit and look at your watch for 30 secs you can do a lot in 30secs. You and I both know with a little inside knowledge it would not be that difficult to get round these diy type panels.

I reckon I could do a g3 in less than 20.

Put an mc on the door or as kipper suggests get a pro in.

Pete

How does that work then.

I do not want any cable on show, or trunking for that matter, think that looks just as bad. These are multipoint locking upvc doors. If I were to fit contacts then I would have to chase down the side of the door reveal for the cable and plaster over it. How would a pro do that without the need for decorating.

Chasing cabling is no problem as this is a house that I am completely refurbishing, I have even knocked a hole in the wall for an LCD TV. So making good after is not a problem.

This is a DIY forum and I am just after some advise from the pro's. But I want to do the job myself. I have no intention of copping out and getting a pro in.

I will fit a contact if its warranted and hide the cables, but I don't want to make myself extra work just for the sake of it.

Sorry, but you've just convinced me that you shouldn't be doing the job.

If you're refurbing the place then their will be no cables on show anywhere. It's good practice to fit a door contact on the entry\exit door and you are at an ideal stage to do the whole job without having one cable on show.

If you think putting in a contact is extra work, then it's definitely time to call someone in.

And, this isn't a DIY forum as such, it's a DIY section on a professionals site. Most of the people giving you advice do nothing all day but fit\maintain alarms.

Fine you're entitled to your opinion. But can you tell me how you would fit a door contact without actually doing the work :lol:

I would need to get the floor up to run the cable from the panel to the contact and drop the cable down behind the coving in the plaster to the contact on the door.

If eveyone thinks that I need a contact on this door and a PIR is not adequate protection then that is what I will do. But it is certainly extra work.

You only learn from asking questions, what may seem obvious to you is not so obvious to a newbie. We were all at this stage once.

Guest Peter James

You would have to use a surface contact, and if your able to chase the wall I would chase to the frame drill a hole and bring the cable through it.

The reasoning behind the Pro suggestion is not because they will nec hide the cables better , more the fact that a pro has the experience and knowledge of what you can and cant do.

Its easy to make a mistake installing an alarm system that will cause you greif to put right , the pir pointing at the door is a good example.

Without seeing your property, (and every property is different ) it is difficult to advise on everything.

A wise man once said to me " With DIY projects if you can earn in a day as much or mre than it costs to get a pro to do then get a pro to do it" and if you think about it it makes sense.

I dont think it would be copping out, you're obviosly very intelligent and probably have a trade or proffesion of some description under your belt.

Of course we are happy to help you as much as we can (thats why we,re here) but I would at least suggest you get the system looked over by a pro at the end.

Pete :)

Thanks again Peter, perhaps I could post a schematic with proposed component positions, and you or one of your peers could give it the once over.

Archived