Security Installer Community

Door contacts or PIR's

Guest Chewie

OK if I were to go for a bigger panel, what would you reccomend, and could I still use the RKP that I have fitted with a different panel.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Texecom Premier range looks nice, but I've never fitted any, so you should get someone else's opinion on it. You would need new RKPs aswell, but any sensors, cabling and bell boxes that you have would be compatable. The speech dialer would work with a new panel too.

My personal take on fitting alarms is that if you're going to do it, do it properly with the best equipment you can afford. There is nothing wrong with the Optima, but as you've found out, it's pretty basic, and for larger projects it just is'nt suitable. Te Texecom Premier range has some nice LCD keypads aswell that are better for programming.

Trade Member

I'd fit all doors /patio / garage with contacts , and have them set to chime when system is unset.Around here its not unusual to go for a brew half way through Coronation Street to find your microwave missing. :wacko:

38703[/snapback]

And thats really annoying when your tea is in it!!

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I wouldn't recommend any panels other than a Optima\Accenta\Veritas for a first timer, although a Texecom Premier would be something that would do the job.

Another thing I was going to add, (before my laptop self destructed, that's me knackered now :( ), was the Informa speech dialler is absolute ****. It's a bit fiddly confirming an alarm and unless you know exactly what you're doing it's nigh on impossible, it's also a bit limited in programming. A Texecom speech dialler would be much better and fairly easily obtainable for a DIY'er.

OK thanks lurch, I will return the informa, is this what you are referring to.

I quite like the idea of the listen in mic, keep check on the kids. :lol:

I think I will stick with the optima, and just put up with the fact that it just has 8 zones. Just need to figure out the optimum set up to make best use of those 8 zones.

Yep, that'd do. It also has line seize, the Informa doesn't.

I think you're making a mistake with the rest of the system, your spec's a bit limited in places, particularly on the panel. You're getting good advice here, I think you're overstretching yourself with this project.

Guest IM_Alarms

Good luck with this install, a bit of a challenge and lets hope you get it right cos every burglar can see what you have protecting it!!!! :D

Just don't ever post your address anywhere hey? ;)

Well I made a start today running the cables and fitting a contact on the front door.

What I have decided on.

Zone1 Front door contact.

Zone2 Hall PIR

Zone3 Garage door contacts, patio door contact and back door contact

Zone4 Living room PIR, will also cover dining room so no need for a PIR there.

Zone5 Study PIR

Zone6 Kitchen PIR

Zone7 Landing PIR

Zone8 Smoke detectors

Bellbox at front of the house

An extension speaker in the hallway

A RKP in the hallway and one outside the master bedroom on the landing.

Texecom speech dialler.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advise, I will keep you posted on how I am doing.

Here are some pics, I decided on the flush door contacts as they are much neater. Fitting the wired contact in the frame was no problem. It was the magnet in the door that caused problems. There was some steel channel right in the middle of the hole I drilled in the door. Used a dremel to remove a section of the steel to fit the magnet.

post-4095-1107646278_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1107646297_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1107646307_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1107646320_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1107646329_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1107646337_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1107646346_thumb.jpg

post-4095-1107646352_thumb.jpg

Archived