Security Installer Community

Door contacts or PIR's

Guest Chewie

You can generally use a standard PIR in the kitchen. If you're likely to have large temperature changes then use a DT. If you set the oven to come on when you're out a lot or, (in general, I know this doesn't apply to you), if you have a boiler or other heating appliance in the room then fit a DT.

By the sounds of it, a standard PIR should be fine in your kitchen.

I am rerunning the cable that goes to the RKP, because the first cable I ran is in the same channel as the 240V supply to my heating stat. Rather than wasting this cable could I use it for a PA button as there is no voltage supply to these.

cheers.

It could still be a receiver for RF and it still returns to the control. Pleased you are taking onboard the advice given here, but ditch the cable you will benefit in the long run...(no pun intended !!)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Just out of curiosity, why isnt alarm cable screened or twisted pair.

41068[/snapback]

Because EVERY core in the cable has to be SAME length. In TP cables pairs are twisted in specific manner and therefore are not suitable for alarm applications.

It can be manufactured as screened. I can provide you with this kind of cable if no-one volunteers to.

In UK you HAVE TO USE UK TYPE ALARM cable which politicians have decided to be BEST for the alarm systems.

Here in Coldpole (where we don't accept your royal guidance so literally) we use CAT3 telephone cable and we are in LACK of MANY troubles you are having there. I have described many of those troubles in my previous posts. But it is ILLEGAL IN UK to follow my proposals of cables to be used !! So use UK type alarm cable and suffer!!! At least you have a QUEEN!! We only have Tarja, Matti and Paavo.. In 12 years you have at least some estimations.... we dont.. =(

The cable is run now, I have kept it away from mains wherever possible, but there are places where the cable unavoidably crosses a mains cable. The cable is chased into the walls just under the coving in places where it was not possible to get the floor up and in a few places it crosses the 240V cable going down to swithches or sockets. Its not like it is running parallel with mains just crossing at one point.

Archived