Security Installer Community

Door contacts or PIR's

Guest Chewie

Guest IM_Alarms

I agree with Peter, for a domestic you shouldn't need a 360. We would only use them for commercial with large areas and lots of stock / display movements. But if you do need one then Scantronic 450's are good Scantronic 450

Like peter said run your door contact cable to the frame, then use the box section of the frame to run up to the contact. It only takes two small holes, one under the contact and one at carpet level.

I personally would contact both garage doors instead of the 360, as it appears to have no windows, just make sure you use a heavy duty contact/roller shutter contact to the up & over door.

It doesn't matter whereabouts the contact's go on the frame top would be OK but do tend to be more visible.

I would also put a shock sensor on the patio and rear garage doors as these are more susceptible to attack.

Also due to the positioning of the PIR's I would make sure they have white light filtering for the sunlight through the window's. ( I would have specified they go on the window wall looking in!)

1 speaker would suffice, possibly the second one upstairs but remember the annoyance of any chime at night if you have children or a moaning wife!

Oh and I would also fit a bigger window to the living room. ;)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Thanks Norman. OK, if I use 2 contacts rather than a PIR in the garage can they both go on the same zone. I only have an 8 channel panel. Can the shock sensors go on the same zone as the contacts or do they need to be seperate. Is the garage then not still at risk from someone coming through the glass and not opening the door.

The PIRs can be positioned anywhere, if it is better to put them on the window walls then that can be done no problem.

As for the window in the living room, yea its pretty wierd, very narrow but full length from floor to ceiling.

You can use up to ten contacts on one zone,although this is NOT recommended as it makes fault finding a nightmare, two would be acceptable though if upgrading the control is out of the question.

You may put a shock and contact on the same circuit but enable the shock for latching (stays lit upon activation)

The garage door at the rear of your house appears to be at higher risk, and a shock sensor should detect attack (someone breaking the panel) before entry is gained.

If it's no hardship then it is good practice to point the PIR's away from any sudden probable heat/light source. (Mr sun popping out from behind a cloud!)

I can live with the window.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

No, the study and dining room are single story, but it is a proper pitched tiled roof.

Why do you ask ?

The only reason I had the PIR's pointing the way they were was so they were pointing at possible access points. But if this is not good practice due to false activations then they can be located elsewhere.

Archived