Security Installer Community

Texecom Odyssey X-B Backlight Power

Hi all,

I am connecting a wired sounder to my Texecom Premier Elite 64-W control panel as I don't want to be climbing a high ladder to change the batteries on the wireless sounder.

I have chosen the Odyssey X-B sounder back plate.  This model includes a backlight.  Out of the box the backlight is lit permanently as it is wired directly to the +12V supply terminal.

I do not wish the backlight to be lit 24/7.  This is easily achieved by disconnecting the back light from the +12V supply.  However, I would like the back light lit when the alarm is activated.  The installation manual INS627-2 suggests this is possible.  From the manual under section "Backlight wiring options":

It is also possible to wire the backlight to the control panels outputs for different operation; for example,

• the Backlight could be wired to activate with the strobe,
    • or could be wired to a timer so that it only operates at certain times of the day or night. Many options are available depending on the capability of the control equipment.

Can anyone offer me some guidance on how to do this please? Is it simply a case of connecting the backlight to the -ve strobe supply on the back plate or do I need to connect the back light power cable to an output on the panel as stated above?  In which case how should the output group, type and attributes be configured? If I am already using all 8-cores in 8-core cable then I assume I need a 9th core to connect the backlight to the panel (which would have to come from a second length of x-core cable)?  Can I just choc block this 9th core to the back light power supply cable?

Thanks in advance - any help appreciated

Spending the time explaining my problem here has perhaps helped me to find the answer.  Reading the main Texecom Premier Elite Series manual again (INS176-15) I realised I was mis-reading the Output Areas.  I think I can achieve what I want by setting Output 1 on the 64-W panel to be:

Group: Area

Type: 00 - Alarm

Attributes: none (or maybe L for Latching)

However, the output is -ve, so do I need to connect the black -ve backlight wire to this and the red backlight wire to ground? 

It wont take long for someone to work out what that big light on the front of your house means, and the one time you go out without arming your alarm that will be it.

Although its a DIY system having an indication outside the property that informs that the system is set is against the BS

9 minutes ago, revinkevin said:

MrHappy - you are quite right ?

To be clear, as maybe I used the wrong terms, I want the backlight off at all times unless the alarm is actually sounding (i.e. has been triggered)

That makes more sense

2 hours ago, revinkevin said:

To be clear, as maybe I used the wrong terms, I want the backlight off at all times unless the alarm is actually sounding (i.e. has been triggered)

I already understood that , these guys are alarm professionals they don't understand house bashing talk 

12 hours ago, revinkevin said:

There is no point in doing this.

I am not a fan of the backlit bellbox they look pants and just provide unnecessary light pollution. Even so, doing what you suggest will just take away the point of the strobe effect catching peoples vision.

The backlight on the Ody X is just a small PCB in the middle lid cover with two leads you just grab the voltage from wherever you want.

If your adamant you want some control over your backlight wire the Red into +ve and join the black to a spare wire then control it however you want from a panel output. Texe has hundreds of output options.

Alarm type output is any generic Alarm, this would give people an indication from outside if the Alarm had finished activating and then re-armed. The system shouldn't be giving this information to people outside the property.

I also think they look gash and agree totally with the light pollution thing, but that's totally subjective and even putting the planning subject to one side there are dozens around here with the back lit ones.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.