Security Installer Community

Starting Up

Why did your first business fail? I know 4 out of 5 business fail but that's due to lack of knowledge and resources. They obviously jump the gun without the correct resources etc. However I'm prepared, I have all the paperwork, company name, sales literature and other literature and so on. All I need now to do now is van, insurance and advertisement but I'm taking my time planning and doing it carefully making sure I don't miss anything so I'm not setup to fail

Gaz will love this but I blame Thatcher LOL

Why did your first business fail? I know 4 out of 5 business fail but that's due to lack of knowledge and resources. They obviously jump the gun without the correct resources etc. However I'm prepared, I have all the paperwork, company name, sales literature and other literature and so on. All I need now to do now is van, insurance and advertisement but I'm taking my time planning and doing it carefully making sure I don't miss anything so I'm not setup to fail

Have you done a BP? how many systems do you need to install/maintain to earn a livable wage? what is your forecast for year on year growth and how do you propose to attain it? 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

the term is realistic not negative,what experience you got installing/servicing/selling/pricing jobs up have you got years of seeing customers and giving them a service you can promise to maintain if they come with you etc etc

I've been done install, service, commission, quoted big jobs that you wouldn't believe. I can't say the company name but I've land one 40,000 job which we did over Christmas period and just about to land another big job. I've got the experience, I'm not as thick as you think. I know what I'm talking about. I know the standards inside out as you should too. Of course I can maintain a customers site, I have the experience and competence to do so

Have you done a BP? how many systems do you need to install/maintain to earn a livable wage? what is your forecast for year on year growth and how do you propose to attain it?

Yes I have calculated everything I need to know to prepare myself and my business. It's all noted thank you, thanks for the tips but I've done it

I've been done install, service, commission, quoted big jobs that you wouldn't believe. I can't say the company name but I've land one 40,000 job which we did over Christmas period and just about to land another big job. I've got the experience, I'm not as thick as you think. I know what I'm talking about. I know the standards inside out as you should too. Of course I can maintain a customers site, I have the experience and competence to do so

why do I always attract them.....

I came here for advice, you obviously can't get it here

you are getting it, its just not what you want to hear. If you prefer we can set up a new area just for that.

You asked the question you will do it anyway, in a few weeks you will agree with what has been said.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Go get it then

your not even a good apprentice never mind businessman,listen to the advise your not ready to go it alone get a few more years behind you then think about it while earning a decent wage without the stress of worrying how to pay it

OP im guessing you look at the invoice for the job and think its way too much. Thats with your van etc payed for by that invoice. Look at the numbers again and work it out. If not you will be another ssiab man in a van with a chip.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Quite a bit which will be the same if you are part time (like me) or not.

Efficiency Insurance

Public Liability Insurance

Business type car/van insurance

At least some stock as spares against call outs

Ideally a separate landline or at least the appearance of one that directs to a mobile

Book-keeper (or DIY)

Accountant (DIY can be done, but not always the best way)

Vetting if your hoping to be approved

Ltd. status if you're hoping to be approved

That's just off the top of my head.

Thanks for info, taken onboard! Do you get a lot of business?