Security Installer Community

Starting Up

I've got lots of work & not enough staff & manflu

Yesterday I worked the morning & went home at 14:00 as I've not been able to able to speak for 12hrs

Today I could speak a little & had a voice most of the day, the 2 of us removed & replaced a radio alarm, new system has 31 devices, 2 ewds &  5 buttoned fobs

I also spent sometime stood outside in the failing snow in a polo shirt whilst sweating like a rapist, If I was employed I expect I would be still under a duvet from monday

Edited by MrHappy

Mr? Veritas God

Hiya,

I'm new to this forum so treat me gently. Believe it or not I'm actually an apprentice for a very big fire & security company in UK based all over. I'll be qualified in July and hopefully start a fire and security company mid to end of his year.

I've worked in the industry for nearly 5 years doing mainly fire but have installed dozens of intruder, cctv and access control. I'm after some advice on how to start up? What do I need etc such as tools, van.

I don't want to be messed around with or lead off the subject, I'd like some proper advice if possible. I am very eager and willing to commit myself to long days and wanting a successful business.

Open to suggestions on how I should start?

As a house basher , just wondered if you worked for 5yrs, does it take that long to complete an apprenticeship?

How will you do this part time? Will you tell bigger customers evenings and weekends only?

Is your current employer got you on a tracker so will you sneak off to do quotes etc?

Big question , do you use the company photocopier without permission for personal use?

Don't worry I just a house basher so trying to work out what angle your coming from

Save enough money in case you don't make any for a couple of years , or persuade someone to give you a big loan , or do another business on the side

H can give you advice on house refurbs as there's good money in it, and there's a few plumbers here to

• 3 weeks later...

Well as a sole trader I've been leafleting and undercutting my local competition with good results and after 6 months the work has been constant but only targeting houses and not making much at all on each job (days wage here and there and thats it). I have had no business plan but I'm in the very fortunate position i have income from elsewhere otherwise i would not be able to do this at all - It would be back to being a service engineer! Its not easy at all, you need to be prepared to not make ends meet until you get ssaib and the bigger jobs as someone else stated which I feel I'm not ready for yet even though i have had 10 years in the trade and started as an apprentice. Im only doing it to stay busy but it is agro being a sole trader in this game I'm not looking forward now to what the ssaib may bring into my life.

We have customer with about £9k of maintenance with us, he now tells me we are 25% more expensive than ADT.

Now seeing as I worked for the above at one point I find this very hard to believe, and thaught we where cheap.

We have customer with about £9k of maintenance with us, he now tells me we are 25% more expensive than ADT.

Now seeing as I worked for the above at one point I find this very hard to believe, and thaught we where cheap.

so your dearer then?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi   what is wrong with our trade, why is it last man to quote for a system commercial or domestic,  always want's  to beat the cheapest  price  and fit the cheapest wire free system they can buy bells only or speach dialer. 

Only for the customer to find out the sytem does not meet insurance requirement's or extra works are required and do not start me off with the  hidden call out charges

This hurt's all of the industry who install grade 2 or 3 sytems with a central station connection

I have been installing security systems for many years, [38 years i had not realised it was that long until i had to fill out my employmant history recently] .

remember  you install a system you fit one way radio junk

thanks peter

• Upvote 1

Customers all think wireless all the rage, it has its place , but look how many bigger companies follow suit , small install charge , fit junk Aslong as the movement get there monhly charge

On a side note in China some group called Falun Gong spiritual movement has been banned since 1999 declared as an evil cult, couldn't work out why strange group

yes wireless works if the detectors are 2 way radio and you can fit redcare  as in texecom  who would risk  a digi now days, but it is not cheap . talking of a large company  and extra  works  i recently removed a system on a double shop  that did not have enough detectors fitted to confirm an activation   remember recurring revenue is king and do not forget  the multi year maint contract and the baliffs if they want to break the contract early and to put it in the shop owner name as well

done that and lost the t shirt , happy to be a worker bee now let somebody else have the stress and to just work for day rate  these are my observations over the years and working with several people who  got very rich by takeovers and cutting costs and to reach the magic number of connections so they can sit back and not have to chase every job just to pay the wages

Everyone has to start their business somewhere, so with all the flaming my last post was getting (i assume it was me) Please tell me how i am meant to start up without fitting gear that will end up costing the same as every other company is charging. I feel i need to undercut for now to get a start and a customer base going. I make sure all my customers are happy and have a grade 2 reliable alarm (yes i know some houses require grade 3). I mainly fit wireless one way at the moment (queue flamage) but plan to move to pyronix or hkc very soon, all I'm saying is its hard to start with pricey gear when leafleting/marketing a new company. See how many calls you get when selling at normal prices with a new business leafleting like I'm doing...Yes its hurting the industry if everyone was at it but i dont plan to do it forever. What is hurting the industry is people with absouloutley no idea cold calling fitting yales from a car. Wireless is here to stay and dont get me wrong i plan to fit wired/hybrid more soon but its tonnes easier for me atm to fit wireless. I just wanted to start like this see the response and then go up.

Flame away guys :/  

I AM NOT HAVING A GO

if somone wants to fit wirless house alarms  thats great i am pointng out that if you only earn a small profit from each job thats great but in the end  someone will do it for cost + £50 POUNDS in the end everybody has a choice

the recurring revenue point is this how lots of companies survive