Security Installer Community

Starting Up

I don't think your prepared in the slightest given the questions.

Costs of starting up, so how  much would you need?

What do you need to live on?

Where is the work coming from?

What you going to charge?

What jobs can you realistically take on?

I haven't been trading long compared to some of the folk on here, they advised against it and it seriously isn't easy.

I get work in and times I am busy and ideally need another pair of hands and others I aint so busy.

What is your competition like, in my neck of the woods its heavy, I win some I lose some, recommendations are great, but to be recommended you need to get work in first?

What if your ill. or fall off a ladder?

What if some f'in bus hits your van and the insurance f'k you about messing up the jobs you have on, can you get what you need to tide you over and get working whilst your waiting. (happened to me before Christmas and it was a nightmare sorting things out rearranging jobs and still waiting for all the money back for the repairs, but if I waited for the insurance I probably still wouldn't be back on the road).

I  have a fair bit of stock and that stuff seriously adds up, yet must individual items aren't so expensive. Theres more bad weather on the way and how bad it is going to be we will have to wait and see, but migt be wishing I had a 4 x 4 or a boat....lol

• Upvote 1

What if some f'in bus hits your van and the insurance f'k you

Its my brother from another mother...

Tom, if your gonna set your TPE co. up ensure what transport you use has the correct commercial insurance. My run in with a bus had 28k worth of personal injury claims, Aviva appointed an accident investigation co. who attended our premises & went though the far end of a fart looking for way to try & void the policy.

Which brings me back to post 2, if life goes pair shaped & you had to find 40k or whatever to pay Aviva off, would you rather be a ltd co. or as a sole trader?

Mr? Veritas God

Thats the first time someone has pointed out a good reason to go ltd, my accountant says im ok as i am, loads have mentioned going ltd over the years but have never gave any decent reason to go ltd.

But having said that, van insurance is their for a reason, fook the insurance co, you'd paid your dues, just a shame the bus driver wasnt done for it.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Its my brother from another mother...

Tom, if your gonna set your TPE co. up ensure what transport you use has the correct commercial insurance. My run in with a bus had 28k worth of personal injury claims, Aviva appointed an accident investigation co. who attended our premises & went though the far end of a fart looking for way to try & void the policy.

Which brings me back to post 2, if life goes pair shaped & you had to find 40k or whatever to pay Aviva off, would you rather be a ltd co. or as a sole trader?

I have to ask. A bus is quite big did you not see it, or was it just the fit lady walking passed :- :- :-:shy:

I've been done install, service, commission, quoted big jobs that you wouldn't believe. I can't say the company name but I've land one 40,000 job which we did over Christmas period and just about to land another big job. I've got the experience, I'm not as thick as you think. I know what I'm talking about. I know the standards inside out as you should too. Of course I can maintain a customers site, I have the experience and competence to do so

All this experience, yet still installing Yale systems as grade 2! Wow.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

No,

buy a dash camera, it should afford great protect against lying ********...

I have a dash cam,

I so far recorded a person on a push bike on his phone go though a red light nearly hit a car turning right, and last night a women in a mini cut me up, then nearly hit a person crossing the road and then jumped a red light. But so far every crash i have been in i have been stopped and they hit me from behind so the dash cam not much help :thumbsup:

I also witnessed a van driver reverse into a lady on a roundabout in a service area and said at the time it was his fault and when he phoned the insurance company it seemed to turn into being her fault.  :- :-  i sent them my dash cam footage they seemed very happy :thumbsup:

theres no question about blame, the bus hit the van which was parked and it was captured on CCTV or more the fact the bus trying to get away was captured as it was hooked up so to speak  he had to reverse to get disconnected.

Just the whole process is so dam slow even though they accepted liability its still not settled in full and because iof the way the system appears to work I was surprised and have the ombudsman involved not that its done anything more thamn get me better informed since dragging them in.

Its sad but if it had been my fault it would have progressed much quicker. Not sure how to factor that into looking for insurance, lets face it accepting liability which the bus company did (even though that took about 4 days to show on the system) you would have thought it would make things easier not harder.

as for the OP, starting up isnt easy and there has been some good advice on here, between the thread filling.

Maybe he has gone away to digest the information and do his sums?

I dare not get one

I've had them for years, just bought a new one. I've been lucky enough not to need it in anger, but I am aware a large percentage of the time I'd be crawling through the wreckage to eat the sd card.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some good answers here!

Fair play if you want to give it a go on your own, wish you the best of luck. But agreeing with ElecTech asking such basic questions almost seems like you've barely looked into it. I haven't had as much experience as most people on here but still have come across tons of people who have tried various ways of starting up. Almost all have failed. The ones who haven't only haven't due the people they no, who've managed to get them bread and butter work. Even now there barely breaking even. It's always nice to think about yourself starting up because you always think you could do so much better but it's such a big risk which will almost certainly end up going wrong. Guess it depends too on how much you wanna make, earning yourself a nice wedge or getting the big bucks.

But wish you the best of luck. I'd much rather keep learning, be the best I can be, own a house or 2 and go on a couple of nice holidays a year keeping the Mrs happy.